Hot Surgeon Action

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

Haven't posted for a while. Been busy and whilst the fishing has been good, there hasn't really been anything serious to talk about.

I peeled down to my favourite haunt in the lower reaches of the Harbour to target the mighty Sawtail Surgeon.

The secret to these brutal bitches is a rich burley and some serious gear. If you try to go for blackfish with the hope of landing the odd Surgeon then expect to be dusted every time.

I geared up with a 20lb braid mainline, 20lb fluro leader and size 8 pan fish hooks. The rod is a Loomis Steelhead custom rated to 6kg and the reel, a Stella 3000. There is no place for a centrepin at these shootouts!! I have that little Stella wound right up to keep the fish out of the structure and the fast retrieve is crucial for getting the line back quickly when they change direction.

No sooner had I burleyed and had couple of drifts, the float rockets down and I am into the first brute! :thumbup:

From then on, it was a down a cast and frequent hookups. I got badly greased a dozen times, wound up with headdress made of braid, a float and splitshots, snapped hooks, bent hooks, no hook.... you get the idea. :mad3:

Anyway, landed eight in total and kept four for the table. :biggrin2:

I love the landbased option on the weekends. No need to worry about someone downrigging through your lines, hitting your boat with sinkers and generally affecting the serenity (not to mention the fishing). :wacko:

Awwww Ceph,

you're cheating mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!- 20lb line....lol

Great report and catch, I however will not go higher than 8lb, because I am a gentleman. I like to live dangerously and need the adrenalin.

So what would you compare them to in terms of their pulling power?

And I see you mentioned about getting line back when they change direction- it is funny how they do that, and by jesus they are fast!. I don't have problems with bent hooks using 8 lb line. And I do agree with you about centerpin, but you can't teach an old dog!.

I think we have started something here with our "Surgeons"- reporting, now everyone will want a turn...lol

Thanks for the report,

Matt

Matt,

You wouldn't take a knife to a gun fight would you? :biggrin2: I do respect you for your Gentlemanly approach however!!

I was a Gentleman until they stole about 6 rigs then things got nasty between us!

I would say that kilo for kilo, they are probably on par or slightly better than a King. :thumbup:

Edited by Cephalopod

well done! Where abouts did you catch them? i've always wanted to catch a surgeon fish. what bait do you use? are they weed eaters?

Chopper

They are weed eaters primarily but some of the boys get them on prawn and squid. A heavy Blackfish outfit should do the trick!

As far as locations, I have caught them throughout the Harbour. Look for deep clear water with drop offs, wharves and kelp.

Nice fish ceph! I dont really think they taste that good either, and they take ages to prepare pulling their skin off etc!

Nanook - I dont think you will EVER get one in on 8lb!! They are steamtrains!

Chopper - I think surgeons are one of the most prolific fish in the harbour, just do some snorkelling and they are everywhere. The rocks to the left of neilson park have hundreds of them, so do the rocks to the right of Clifton, but right up towards the end of the point. You need a steady berley trail.

Nice fish ceph! I dont really think they taste that good either, and they take ages to prepare pulling their skin off etc!

Chopper - I think surgeons are one of the most prolific fish in the harbour, just do some snorkelling and they are everywhere. The rocks to the left of neilson park have hundreds of them, so do the rocks to the right of Clifton, but right up towards the end of the point. You need a steady berley trail.

Hey Dicko,

I have landed 5 Sugeons on 8lb line- just read my reports!. But yes I will be the first to admit that it is hard, and about 60% of the time I lose. If I get too much pressure from everyone I will go up to 12lb...lol

thamks dicko. what berley do you guys use? bread?

Very Nice Surgeons ,

Never caught one so might have to venture to the Harbour and give them a go looks like Fun.... Well Done Ceph :thumbup: Also do the tides matter ?

Cheers John..... :1fishing1:

John,

I find the rising tide is best, but having said that- pretty much anytime except a really low tide. Berley is the key. Surgeons are pretty shy like blackies in terms of that they like structure/cover. shade and a bit of suds will help too, but honestly I have caught Surgeons in every tide.

Well done Ceph!! Terrific results! Strong gear for strong fish! I have only seen small ones up here, but then again, have assumed my bustoffs to be either big blackies or drummer! Hmmmm, wonder if we have some bigger ones around????

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

I think I read somewhere a while back, about them being in similar locations to the blackies. It would make sense if they are weed eaters also.

But from what Ceph is saying, the normal black fish rig would be like taking a 'plastic knife to a gunfight'.

Surgeons could be the new Sydney harbour Gamefish.

After all this great news about these suckers,tomorrow is the day we try and wack some :biggrin2:

I have rigged my 4000 certate on my heavy blackfish rod and will be armed with 20lb braid and 20lb flurocarbon leader.

Come get some of the Swordies action you dirty surgeons :1yikes:

Cheers Stewy

Hope you get some Stewy. Whereabouts are you going? Can you PM me the details.

Gidday Raiders,

Haven't posted for a while. Been busy and whilst the fishing has been good, there hasn't really been anything serious to talk about.

I peeled down to my favourite haunt in the lower reaches of the Harbour to target the mighty Sawtail Surgeon.

The secret to these brutal bitches is a rich burley and some serious gear. If you try to go for blackfish with the hope of landing the odd Surgeon then expect to be dusted every time.

I geared up with a 20lb braid mainline, 20lb fluro leader and size 8 pan fish hooks. The rod is a Loomis Steelhead custom rated to 6kg and the reel, a Stella 3000. There is no place for a centrepin at these shootouts!! I have that little Stella wound right up to keep the fish out of the structure and the fast retrieve is crucial for getting the line back quickly when they change direction.

No sooner had I burleyed and had couple of drifts, the float rockets down and I am into the first brute! :thumbup:

From then on, it was a down a cast and frequent hookups. I got badly greased a dozen times, wound up with headdress made of braid, a float and splitshots, snapped hooks, bent hooks, no hook.... you get the idea. :mad3:

Anyway, landed eight in total and kept four for the table. :biggrin2:

I love the landbased option on the weekends. No need to worry about someone downrigging through your lines, hitting your boat with sinkers and generally affecting the serenity (not to mention the fishing). :wacko:

hey mate just wondering what was the biggest surgeon you caught that day?

or the average size

hey mate just wondering what was the biggest surgeon you caught that day?

or the average size

They were all around the 50cm mark. Biggest went 56cm and I caught a couple in the late 40's.

I think the average size is 45-50cm and they can get to 70cm.

Well done Ceph!! Terrific results! Strong gear for strong fish! I have only seen small ones up here, but then again, have assumed my bustoffs to be either big blackies or drummer! Hmmmm, wonder if we have some bigger ones around????

Roberta

Maybe you do Roberta.. they fight a bit like a drummer with those sideways runs although the old Surgeon will change direction very quickly causing slack line if you don't watch out. The downs are semi aggressive withthe odd one leaving a hole in the water where the float once was!! :biggrin2:

Very Nice Surgeons ,

Never caught one so might have to venture to the Harbour and give them a go looks like Fun.... Well Done Ceph :thumbup: Also do the tides matter ?

Cheers John..... :1fishing1:

Tides are not crucial although, the bite shuts down on the top and bottom fo the tide. They seem to like a bit a movement in the water.

Edited by Cephalopod