Advice Pls Beginner

novice1

Hi all,

My first post.

Great to see a forum where people actually help each other..

I have just started fishing...I dont have a boat so mainly on shore fishing...

I was just wondering if you may be able to suggest some good spots in Sydney to fish.Especially around the Harbour.I have tried the spit and berrys bay landed some flathead and bream at berrys on the incoming tide.

The flathead where nice sizes the bream where keepers but i let them go as i dont like the taste of bream...

I have read Clifton Gardens is a hot spot

any advice would be greatly appreciated

hook em fish raiders

Sally

Clifton Gardens is ok during the weekdays but weekends its packed. Due to the popularity i think it has been overfished, so lots of throwbacks without many decent fish, but there is always big fantail jackets and luderick under the wharf. Good place for catching live bait. Have caught a couple of flounder on plastics there but they were all in the same day and never since.

Hi all,

My first post.

Great to see a forum where people actually help each other..

I have just started fishing...I dont have a boat so mainly on shore fishing...

I was just wondering if you may be able to suggest some good spots in Sydney to fish.Especially around the Harbour.I have tried the spit and berrys bay landed some flathead and bream at berrys on the incoming tide.

The flathead where nice sizes the bream where keepers but i let them go as i dont like the taste of bream...

I have read Clifton Gardens is a hot spot

any advice would be greatly appreciated

hook em fish raiders

Sally

Try Middle Harbour around Castle Cove..deep water and some good fish to boot.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks to all for the information it is most appreciated....

This middle harbour spot looks great going to give that a try on friday....

Just a few questions if you dont mind..

Is the middle harbour spot the same place that you can catch kingfish...Eveyone is posting pics of Kingfish caught in middle harbour..

Ireally would like to try and get one..looks fun..

Also what is the best bait and rig to catch kingfish and jewfish...Live/frozen etc

At present i use a basic bream set up....trace swivel sinker...lol

What pound line and rig should i be using for king fish and jews

also what pound line and rig is best for flathead and bream????

What is the best bait live or frozen

what are good lures to use for kings and jews????and what line should i be using?????

I know i might be asking a bit much...but this would help me alot

Thanks once again in advance its most appreciated

Hookem

Sally

Edited by novice1

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks to all for the information it is most appreciated....

This middle harbour spot looks great going to give that a try on friday....

Just a few questions if you dont mind..

Is the middle harbour spot the same place that you can catch kingfish...Eveyone is posting pics of Kingfish caught in middle harbour..

Ireally would like to try and get one..looks fun..

Also what is the best bait and rig to catch kingfish and jewfish...Live/frozen etc

At present i use a basic bream set up....trace swivel sinker...lol

What pound line and rig should i be using for king fish and jews

also what pound line and rig is best for flathead and bream????

What is the best bait live or frozen

what are good lures to use for kings and jews????and what line should i be using?????

I know i might be asking a bit much...but this would help me alot

Thanks once again in advance its most appreciated

Hookem

Sally

Im no expert but when i hooked a kingfish (i think) i was using one of those 3-4inch hard body lure on a 5kilo line. It broke it in less than 30sec so yea.

/shrug

Hi Sally I think you could do well in the late afternoon on the little beach alongside the eastern side of the Spit Bridge on the Sydney side. You'll be confortable there and and can fish very close to your car. In that part of the Harbour system which includes upstream into middle Harbour it's the bottom of the tide, stillwater and the run in tide for jewfish and the mid run in and the top for kingfish, as the schools move out when the tide starts to run out.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Sally I think you could do well in the late afternoon on the little beach alongside the eastern side of the Spit Bridge on the Sydney side. You'll be confortable there and and can fish very close to your car. In that part of the Harbour system which includes upstream into middle Harbour it's the bottom of the tide, stillwater and the run in tide for jewfish and the mid run in and the top for kingfish, as the schools move out when the tide starts to run out.

Cheers

hi there Jewgaffer

Thanks for the information

Did you mean the spot just before the bridge as you come from the city....where the car park is and the the marina/with restaurants...and you fish under the bridge?????

Thanks again

Sally

hi there Jewgaffer

Thanks for the information

Did you mean the spot just before the bridge as you come from the city....where the car park is and the the marina/with restaurants...and you fish under the bridge?????

Thanks again

Sally

Hi Sally. Turn left down the lane way, the very last turn before the Spit bridge on the Sydney side when you are driving towards Manly. After passing the entrance to the marina, drive all the way down and park your car close to the little beach I referred to, which is to the left of No1 pylon. You will need a squid jig on a smaller rod that's not too whippy, a beach rod, a rod holder and a ball sinker around the size of a fifty cent piece.

If you see wedding photography going on down there on a Saturday afternoon, you will more than likely get the photographer to move his car and juggle the wedding cars around a bit so that you can park where you fish, if you ask him for his card and make a booking. :lol::D

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

There is a great walkway in iron cove that is an awesome spot to spin for bream and flathead. You can fish both sides of the rowing club and around in front of the old apia soccer club and up towards the bridge. It fishes best from half tide up because its quite shallow but all manner of plastics will work and also the smilin jack raw prawn in pink has proved a cracker for me in the past.

Best of luck.

Shane.