Fishing Central Coast

dreaflym

Hey fellow raiders,

Gonna head to central coast to wet my line there during xmas. Going to stay in Saratoga area . I’ve never fishing in central coast so I really need some help there…

I’m landbased fisho. I’ve been hopping the rock, fishing at the wharfs for some times but only around Sydney areas.

After some researches, me and my mate plan to night fishing at Saratoga and try skillion, avoca, or winnie for the day. For rockfishing, I’m after pelagics. I’ve seen people landing big kingies on the wharfs, down the rocks but personally never succeeded (had couple of kingie encounters on livies but always pulled hook due to inexperience). But it’s always dream to land a kingie or sambo or bonito off the rock. Just wondering is the kingie or bonito action on at central coast at this time? What kind of livies are the best options for those fishes? Is spinning lure a good choice off the rock as well? If so what kind of lure is suitable? Chrome? Surface popper? Or SP?

I also talked to one of my work mate who lives in Gosford area about how to access to winnie. He hasn’t been fishing for a while but was quite keen into it. He told me we can walk off from Cape Three Point road to winnie. I quite long walk though. Not sure is this the best way to get there? Is it possible to walk along the rock from avoca to winnie?

About night fishing at Saratoga, what can be caught there? I’m guessing there must be some bream flathead around to keep us entertained. What about luderick and squid? Do they hang around near that area? Will be good if we can jigging some live squid for the rockfishing session next day.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Finally, wish all raiders a good and fishy xmas!

TIGHT LINE…..

Hey dreaflym

i would be using a popper for a while and if the sambos turn up get out the metal slice

i have a good mate who lives in saratoga and he wets a line there nearly every arvo with the kids it has all the bread and butter fish get the sp's out for some good flatties the nuclear chicken ones work a treat there

and at night the wharf also has schools of squid due to the light

good luck

Adzzy

....I also talked to one of my work mate ...about how to access to winnie. He hasn’t been fishing for a while but was quite keen into it. He told me we can walk off from Cape Three Point road to winnie. I quite long walk though. Not sure is this the best way to get there? Is it possible to walk along the rock from avoca to winnie?

Have a look at http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...st&p=242654 for a picture etc. Find the water tower between Avoca and Copa, cant miss it. Could walk around from Avoca but its a long walk and there is some tricky bits. Keep away from rocks etc if seas are up.

Winnie is a sewerage outfall site and can be pretty messy/smelly. You are not allowed to keep fish caught here (signposted). Blackfish fishermen fish nth of winnie and apparetly kingfish can be caught from south. I prefer Terrigal, Avoca, Copa etc, easier access, less of a hike and much nicer than the outfall.

Cheers

Have a look at http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...st&p=242654 for a picture etc. Find the water tower between Avoca and Copa, cant miss it. Could walk around from Avoca but its a long walk and there is some tricky bits. Keep away from rocks etc if seas are up.

Winnie is a sewerage outfall site and can be pretty messy/smelly. You are not allowed to keep fish caught here (signposted). Blackfish fishermen fish nth of winnie and apparetly kingfish can be caught from south. I prefer Terrigal, Avoca, Copa etc, easier access, less of a hike and much nicer than the outfall.

Cheers

didn't know there is a sewage there...I chose winnie because heard avoca could be very crowded during holiday time and there are kings around winnie. it will be still fun to catch an release all the fishes. but if the water is smelly then i wouldn't go for that...Thanks for the information copafisher! will give copa a go as well if weather permits...do you fish the south end or the north of copa?

The Avoca platform is not the best fishing experience - especially in school hols. The central coast is like everywhere, the fish are where you find them. Certainly, any of the regular livebaits like yellowtail or squid, off any of the more significant headlands will put you in the picture. I am sure you will catch some fish. THe only other area you might like is patonga creek, its about a 30 min drive from saratoga.

The Poacher

..do you fish the south end or the north of copa?

Copa is the North end of beach, Macmasters Beach is the south end. I have fished Copa, but usually fish Bris Waters in the boat (dont seem to catch any more fish though lol). I've never fished Macs and have not seen any fisho's there. Whenever I think about going off the rocks the weather/sea is crap.

Cheers

Guest Aussie007

a few years back i went up the central coast hearing really good reports in summer of people catching some large fish look up avoca drive avoca goto the end walk down the path than turn right and walk along the rocks its pretty safe alot of familys walk along the rocks with little kids and theres a bouy on the wall incase someone goes into the drink keep walking along untill u come up to like a plat form it runs from memory about 200 meters fish with a float and a frozen pilly around 3 foot under the surface anywhere along this spot

good luck mate and stay safe

The Avoca platform is not the best fishing experience... ...

Copa is the North end of beach... ...

a few years back i went up the central coast hearing really good reports in summer... ...

Greate info guys!! this really helps me a lot about fishing in central coast area... i will try all spots you guys metioned if time and weather permits! looking forward to get some good catches there! will post a report to keep you guys updated if fishes are on! Thanks for the great help again!!

well theres lots of spots the entrance is very popular if your neer there

but a good spot is avoca off the beach you can get whiting an bream decent sized as well

and off the rocks at avoca is a good spot but the fish arent always ther but wen they are they are!! :thumbup: i caught a 4 kg salmon off ther a few months ago (out ov everyone there was bout 20 caught) but it is better close to christmas

i heard patongas rely good but hav only had a chance to get ther once and it was rely windy and it produced nothing but gosford river is also good but its sumtimes abit dirty but fish are etable from there

also you can fished landbased into the hawkesbury neer the road bridges on the princes hwy thers a grased area thats good for a picnic and with kids

i might be up there myself ion a few weeks i live in syd but i hav family up ther and iv bin going up ther my whole

so cheers jason

p.s. hope you hav a good time with plenty of fish

There are some great rock fishing spots at cathrine hill bay a bit further up the coast towards swansea.

you will get good blackfish, drummer, and at times good kingies. most of the guys use live yellowtail for the kingies but I reckon squid would work also. if you drive to the end of town there is land owned by the coal mine that you walk through, its a reasonable walk but the fishing is well worth it. You can also get to the rocks heading right from the surf beach under the large coal wharf ,the first rocks you come to will produce a few bream and groper but the kingie spot is further south. keep going until you see an area that has a decent gutter that runs up under the cliffs into a cave, just south of that there is a bit of a bay, the left hand side of the bay with the gutter behind you produces kingies , but beware there is an under water cave at your feet and the kingies will head straight for it when you hook one. If you still cant find the spot, alternatively go to the pub and ask, someone there will point you in the right direction.

good luck.

pete.

i heard patongas rely good but hav only had a chance to get ther once...

Thanks Jason. Just realised that patonga isn't that far away from where we going to live as well. Do you know what usually been caught there? Jew if lucky?

There are some great rock fishing spots at cathrine hill bay...

Thanks Pete, great suggestion! I just checked Catherine hill bay from google map, looks awsome for rock hopping! I saw that long coal wharf sticking out into the ocean, will you be able to fish up there? if so, what can be caught up there? It's bit far from where we live, but that place looks really attractive!

Really appreciated with all the great info about central coast fishing guys! Now I don't even know which one to pick for my 4 days fishing trip! lol...

Edited by Dreaflym

Thanks Jason. Just realised that patonga isn't that far away from where we going to live as well. Do you know what usually been caught there? Jew if lucky?

um i havent realy heard of jews being ther but i dont see why not mainly iv just herd of eople getting monster flattys and big whiting aswell i know that ray r a raider hu hasnt posted in ages used to go there often and caught flatties often hes reported about catchin tailor ther also once and also flounder there once to , probably more and other things but im fairly new to fishraider.

i hope this info helps if youu wanna know more pm me also try a search for previous posts by ray r and you might learn sum things

p.s. not only the beach is gud but if your facing the water the rocks off to the left are good to an ther not that hard to get onto also if you keep going round on them theres a small beach thing and thats supposed to be good to