Cheaper Alternative To Lead Sinkers? Diy ?

archilles2

Going to throw you all a curly one, I fish in many spots prone to snagging which contain potentially good fish ( landbased ). Yesterday i lost almost 6 sinkers and many more in the past!

I've tried the sinker moulds but don't like mucking around with lead, especially around the family so i scrapped that idead.

As silly as this may sound, has anyone come up with another cheap alternative ? I use alot of ball sinkers , so i need to find somethign spherical in shape that can be found in different weights and cheap as anything .

i challenge anyone to come up with a cheap alternative :icon_peace:

Edited by archilles2

For the super environmentally inclined, freeze a swivel in a block of ice. Gets the bait to the bottom and then disappears, but you get the swivel back. Only catch is your sinkers get progessivly smaller throughout the day, unless you have them on dry ice.

Otherwise there are a number of sinkers on the market that are made out of tin or similar materials.

We actually use reinforcing rods, nuts and bolts.

Buy a 6 metre length in the diameter that you prefer, borrow some bolt cutters, cut to the desired length, hey presto!

Different lengths and or diameter of rod will determine the weight.

You can make a hacksaw cut in them to stop the mono slipping off.

Alternatively you could go to your local nut and bolt store, wreckers or junk place and ask for their rubbish.

It doesn't matter if the bolt or nut is rusty. Very cheap alternative.

try sugar cubes :biggrin2:

peter :1fishing1:

A sugar cube would make a great dissolving sinker Pete! I thought you might have come up with something like a big frozen squid with a hook in it instead of the recommended block of ice method. :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

We can make environmental friendly sinkers from stones.

Chose the size, shape and weight of the stones which are suitable for your need. Drill them using small drill bits, make the hollow a bit undermined like dentist doing tooth filling then fill it with glue and insert a swivel. Let the glue set properly in 24 hours before using the DIY sinkers.

If you get snagged you'll only lose a swivel and all your hassle making it but it's fun.

Cheers,

flattie

A sugar cube would make a great dissolving sinker Pete! I thought you might have come up with something like a big frozen squid with a hook in it instead of the recommended block of ice method. :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: