New Boat

joshg_888

Hey guys

Just picked up the new boat last week its a stessco Basstracker 395

We got a live well and a live bait tank in the boat, rod holders round the sides and a 30HP Suzuki on the back

The boat is brand new and really tidy

Just wanted to ask what you guys think of taking it to places with the like of lion island and places like rose bay in sydney harbour?

Any other places you think it would handle?

Look forward to seeing what u guys think

Cheers

It should be fine, you see people out there in smaller than that doing ok.

Probably a good idea to really check weather reports and forecasts before you go out particularly if a change is coming that could make it a bit hairy getting back to shore in. with a 30hp you should do fine though just keep an eye out for bigger boats like cruisers and ferrys as they may have a hard time seeing you.

Cheers

Josh

Everyone has a different idea on capabilities of boats and it's what YOU feel comfortable with regarding conditions in your own boat. Iv'e seen boats of sub 4m out at long reef, seen sub 5m off Browns. I don't think they were crazy or anything as conditions were pretty good but I don't think I would do it.....

The more time you spend on the water in your boat the more confidence you will gain.

What I'm trying to say, work upto bigger runs and only do it if you are 100% confident in what you are doing. If there is any doubt turn around and go back. Safety first fish second...

During previous salmon runs off Sydney you'd see many boats of your size out the front of Blue fish point chasing them down. Just make sure you have all the saftey gear as there is a good chance you will get checked plus a good bilge pump fitted for when you cop a green wave over the front.

Good luck.

Greg

Everyone has a different idea on capabilities of boats and it's what YOU feel comfortable with regarding conditions in your own boat. Iv'e seen boats of sub 4m out at long reef, seen sub 5m off Browns. I don't think they were crazy or anything as conditions were pretty good but I don't think I would do it.....

The more time you spend on the water in your boat the more confidence you will gain.

What I'm trying to say, work upto bigger runs and only do it if you are 100% confident in what you are doing. If there is any doubt turn around and go back. Safety first fish second...

During previous salmon runs off Sydney you'd see many boats of your size out the front of Blue fish point chasing them down. Just make sure you have all the saftey gear as there is a good chance you will get checked plus a good bilge pump fitted for when you cop a green wave over the front.

Good luck.

Greg

greg has a really good point there i grew up on the water and have been driving boats for about 8 years so im pretty confident even when it comes to pretty crazy situations......if you go out and feel its all a bit over your head go into calmer waters and try again on a nicer day.

i have been meaning to ask the same questions hmm. will mine do it as well?

i would be a bit nervous in larger swell as the playmates have a low transom...that said go out and give it a go on calmer days and slowly get your confidence in it up.

cheers shaun

Always check the weather report before you go out. Its not always accurate but most of the time its close enough. Important thing is the swell and wind speed inside the Harboour or the Bay. Nothing is worse than getting caught out in the middle of a weather change.

As has basicly been said above, it's not really a question of is the boat capable, it's more about are you capable and will the weather allow it on the day.

Before my old man bought the bigger boat (17' 1/2 cab) I have been outside fishing off the beach and around the islands at Port Kembla plenty of times in a 12' punt with a 15hp, you just got to pick your days. I have put the boat in, left the harbour and then turned around and went straight back in a few times because it was worse than it looked when we got out there, got to expect it in small boats.

Good luck.

Dont overrate your boats capabilities . It was designed for certain conditions , and if the weather / sea conditions change suddenly or without warning you could find yourself in very life threatening situation.

Lion Island may well be within your boats capabilities on a good day , but I have seen the water there go from dead calm to surfable in 15 minutes , and many boats damaged trying to get back in ( Jewfish Social 2006) . If you have a Marine Radio ( 27M, UHF etc ) have it tuned to the Coast Guard frequency , they give weather warnings during the day . If you dont have one , GET ONE!!!

Rose Bay , or anywhere in the Harbour would be OK for you in most conditions , but be aware that while the water can be dead calm at sunrise , by lunchtime it can become very choppy , and with a Nor Easter blowing may be approaching your boats safe navigating limits. The simple fact that smaller boats are out there , does not necessarily make it safe for you.

Ross