Dropped A Bolt In Motor!

wonniefisho

Bummer, I took the bolt that holds the cover over the electrical connectors on the left side of the motor and dropped it and its gone underneath the power head - and I have no idea where its gone. I assume this is likely to get somewhere it shouldn't - how the hell do you retrieve a lost bolt without completely dismantling the motor!!! ???

Hi, try trimming the engine fully up and turning from side to side, sometimes that will dislodge the screw and you can retrive it. If not, being that it is just for an electrical cover it will be small and will quite happily live around the base of the powerhead. Not ideal and it would be worth getting, but as you mentioned it is a big effort to reomve the powerhead. If you do it would be a good time to do some preventative maintance and replace the lower crankshaft seal while the powerhead is on the bench.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

You can get a magnet on a flexible shaft from $2 shpos and auto stores- prety eaks as unless you get a direct hit but quality rare earth ones are good. Sometine children with small hands are invaluable around the workshop - bugger probably can't say that as it'll be child labour- but they don't eat till they find the screw.

Have used large powerful welders magnet on the outside of plastic colwing to recover other metal parts as well just sliding it up with arag between lower cowl and magnet- so I'mlazy and it takes 20 minutes to line those bloody cowls up

Later ones on bigger HP all had a tiny o-ring to hold them in the plastic cover when it was removed or a sort of circlip. I have just used a bit of amalgamating tape as sick of dropping screws like that.

Yes I've dropped the little $%^%$ as well- Arrrghhhhh. add more swear words here.

Signed

MR fat Unco fingers AKA Pel

PS Warning=- some of the larger thumbcrews style ones are chromed brass and magnets don't pick em up so try before you go mad.

You might try this :

1) Completely remove old motor .

2) Take scenic drive to Cowan and purchase Etec.

3) Fit new Etec to boat

4) Enjoy trouble free boating !!

Ross

( I really have been too quiet about Etecs of late , my apologies to all members . ) :)

And here we all were staying quiet ,not encouraging you, hoping it was a New Year Resolution you adopted a bit early.

I know there is not thousands of parts Ross but I must say I have noticed a few bolts on em.

Have a great Christmas and may your family not get neglected while you are having the ETEC love affair and may Santa bring your ETEC some 100 proof XD for under the tree.

Edited by pelican

With a torch and a closer look it was just out of finger reach, and easy to push back to get to. What a relief!

Lucky too as I couldn't get a socket or spanner on the lower cowling bolts solidly enough to loosen them as there isn't much room - which is a shame as I wanted to replace the air intake drain hose due to the split - that will have to wait unfortunately.

Thanks

With a torch and a closer look it was just out of finger reach, and easy to push back to get to. What a relief!

Lucky too as I couldn't get a socket or spanner on the lower cowling bolts solidly enough to loosen them as there isn't much room - which is a shame as I wanted to replace the air intake drain hose due to the split - that will have to wait unfortunately.

Thanks

Straight thin walled sockets always fit better especially with some motor having such deep recesses in cowls. As they shouldn't be that tight so a el-cheapo small drive set ( cheap ones often have thin walls) should do- even those t-handle kits. Just get a AF or correct fitting one as the metrics will bur / strip the heads depending on motor brands being Jap or USA. I replaced mine with stainless allen head bolts and use the cordless drill on the lightest clutch setting.

Thanks Ross . Santa is bringing my girls a few cans of engine tuner as they are on a health kick and some 20c off voucher fuel in Jerry cans so they can run a but more in the new year.

Pel

Edited by pelican

Straight thin walled sockets always fit better especially with some motor having such deep recesses in cowls. As they shouldn't be that tight so a el-cheapo small drive set ( cheap ones often have thin walls) should do- even those t-handle kits. Just get a AF or correct fitting one as the metrics will bur / strip the heads depending on motor brands being Jap or USA. I replaced mine with stainless allen head bolts and use the cordless drill on the lightest clutch setting.

Thanks Ross . Santa is bringing my girls a few cans of engine tuner as they are on a health kick and some 20c off voucher fuel in Jerry cans so they can run a but more in the new year.

Pel

I'll have another look and give it a go. Would be good to see what else is hiding under there too!