Left Or Right Handed

brendong

What side do you wind from?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. I think we all know we are supposed to swap handles and retrieve with our our weaker hand but do we?

• I'm right handed I wind with my Right hand
    • I'm left handed I wind with my Left hand
    • I'm right handed I changed handles to wind left handed
    • I'm left handed I changed handles to wind right handed

wouldnt really say supposed to its just another choice to make whilst fishing. i have been told by alot of people that you lose fish and all this other crap but for me personally i find it easiest to wind with my right hand which is my stronger while flicking with my left......and i seem to catch plenty of fish this way.

cheers flatty hunter

i do number 4

much better for those pelagics who hit the lures as soon as it hits the surface and take off. I also find i get much better control.

cheers

Steve

Good one young Kirks! I didn't know you graduated into carp fishing :D

Cherrs

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I think we all know we are supposed to swap handles and retrieve with our weaker hand.........

It's surprising just how many people who are using a rod and reel for the first time fail to realize this.

You fight the fish with the rod, not the reel..the rods taking all the strain so it's just common sense that you hold it with your favoured arm/hand.The same arm you use to throw a ball or use a hammer with.

I think holding a poll is fairly pointless because most right handed anglers who hold their rod with their left arm aren't doing it because they've found it better but because that's the way reel was set up when they first started fishing and they've simply adapted to it.

No point in them changing now. Best to start when their young.

When we took my nephews fishing for the first time i noticed the right handed nephew was struggling with his new rod ,using the reel more like a wince and just holding it more awkwardly than my left handed nephew.once we decided to change the handle to the other side,he found it more comfortable to use. [this is why i suggested you do this in previous post].

*no 4 for me.

Edited by hooked4life

I'm right handed and used to wind with my right hand but have been using my left for the last couple of years, find it much better to have right hand on the rod for casting, jigging sps and fighting fish.

My brother though still uses his right hand to wind and so i have to sometimes when fighting some fish but no drama changing back.

If you are going to change best to just take your time and start small with things like squid, then work up bream, flatties, tailor, salmon, kings and you'll be settled and used to it before you know it.

Still struggle every now and then to keep coordinated when retrieving quickly with my left.

Cheers

Josh

Rex has a lot to answer for on this one :wacko:

Just use whatever you are most comfortable with

Rex is left handed.

[and he often advised viewers that he was holding the rod with his left arm because he was left handed]

....agreed.

Edited by hooked4life

I've never heard of this before, I'm right handed and hold the rod in my left and wind with my right. I reckon it would feel pretty akward to do it in reverse

I'm betting you [like most RH people] do it that way because that's how the reel was set up when you first started using it and you didn't think to change it over,you just accepted that that's the way it was supposed to be and over time you've gotten used to fishing that way.

BUT THAT'S OK..if your used to it then no need to change..if fact i'm not advising anyone to change from what they're already comfortable with...I'm just suggesting that if someone is using a threadline for THE FIRST TIME then they will find it easier to use if they hold the rod with their favoured arm.

I think we all know we are supposed to swap handles and retrieve with our weaker hand.........

It's surprising just how many people who are using a rod and reel for the first time fail to realize this.

You fight the fish with the rod, not the reel..the rods taking all the strain so it's just common sense that you hold it with your favoured arm/hand.The same arm you use to throw a ball or use a hammer with.

I think holding a poll is fairly pointless because most right handed anglers who hold their rod with their left arm aren't doing it because they've found it better but because that's the way reel was set up when they first started fishing and they've simply adapted to it.

No point in them changing now. Best to start when their young.

When we took my nephews fishing for the first time i noticed the right handed nephew was struggling with his new rod ,using the reel more like a wince and just holding it more awkwardly than my left handed nephew.once we decided to change the handle to the other side,he found it more comfortable to use. [this is why i suggested you do this in previous post].

*no 4 for me.

Fair enough to say that but how many left handed overheads do you see?

Tim

I have recently changed the handle to wind with my left for the fish that hit as soon as the lure hits the water. Doesn't take long I just practiced at home while watching tv (obviously not rigged up) you get the feel after a couple of nights doing that. Practice lifting and winding down too as this is more awkward than just winding. Well worth it I reckon

Rex has a lot to answer for on this one :wacko:

Just use whatever you are most comfortable with

Hear Hear Andrew! I have heard all the 'pros' explain about the 'time lapse between swapping rod from right hand to left' but I can honestly say I have never had a fish catch me off-guard. For me: it's more about dexterity. I am right handed, and I cast right handed because I am far more accurate. But, I have broken my right arm 3 times, my right wrist once (damn sports) and had 3 shoulder reconstructions on my right shoulder in 12 months. My left arm is much stronger and I am more confident it will not give out on me when I need it the most :biggrin2:

#1 for me

Cheers

Hodgey

I think Im fortunate to be pretty well ambidexterous and can cast fairly well with both arms Strangely I tend to cast a spinning rod right handed and prefer to wind with right hand and work the rod with left hand but with baitcasters I cast with my left hand and still wind with my right hand and this feels perfectly natural to me

Fair enough to say that but how many left handed overheads do you see?

Tim

Good point..and i think it's the same with alveys,probably too expensive to make the handle interchangeable so, since most people are right handed they put the handle on the right,even though it's the rod that should be given preference,not the reel.

so what do you do?..not much you can do!

As rex use to say.."fishing reel manufacturers have a lot to answer for"

[and i pitty the kid who gets an overhead for his first outfit]

*Again,i'm not suggesting anyone should change from what their already comfortable with,i'm only saying that if someones using a [threadline] outfit for the first time then it's best they hold the rod with their favoured arm. Yes they will have a little trouble getting use to winding the reel with their other hand but since they don't have any bad habits to compete with,they'll master in in no time [like using a stickshift] and the benefits of holding a rod with your favoured/stronger arm [especially with the popularity of sps' these days and if it's a girl] are obvious.

Anyway,that's my 2 cents [or 10]

some might agree...others won't,no matter.

But if it's your first time then give it a try and

if it doesn't work out then change back,no harm done.

cheers.

Edited by hooked4life

Personally, I've found it tough initially to change over but when flicking light sp's and hard bod's around structure and racks etc have found I have so much more control now.....bottom bashing I haven't swapped yet.

Thanks for all the feed back Raiders....to sum up looks like fairly 'Even Steven's' with some blaming Mr Hunt for congering up the the wrong hand method....its not easy to change but if you give a crack for a whole session I think you might never turn back....at least that seemed to be the case for 50% of us...

Tight lines and merry christmas too all.

PT

Rex is left handed.

[and he often advised viewers that he was holding the rod with his left arm because he was left handed]

....agreed.

Lol, i just purchased a Stella 4000 of Rex himself and guess what, its left handed! the peice you need to convert it was not supplied and Shimano are hesitant to sell them. I have placed an order but cause the time of year it will be mid Jan before it arrives, anyhow in the meantime i have been practicing casting with my right and winding with my left.. it really is quite a learning curve but i have to say i quite like it. My casting is more accurate and the leverage from a stronger arm makes sense!

Thanks Rexiboy!!!!

hmmmmm, might change a few more over now.

• 2 weeks later...