Trolling For Tailor

emetic

would like to try something new and troll up some tailor on the port hacking on the weekend as i've heard it can be pretty productive! I have never done this before and have a few q's.

1) What kinds of lures should i try? I have heard they'll eat anything, but what's best?

2) What speed should i be trolling at?

3) what line strength/ tackle setups work?

4) How far out the back of the boat should i have the lures?

5) any good spots around porth hacking/bate bay?

Cheers!

would like to try something new and troll up some tailor on the port hacking on the weekend as i've heard it can be pretty productive! I have never done this before and have a few q's.

1) What kinds of lures should i try? I have heard they'll eat anything, but what's best?

2) What speed should i be trolling at?

3) what line strength/ tackle setups work?

4) How far out the back of the boat should i have the lures?

5) any good spots around porth hacking/bate bay?

Cheers!

1. wonder wobbler (or similiar)

2. Slow, about the speed of rowing

3. does not really matter

4. 10 meters or a little more

5. South West arm, yowie bay

Have fun. i like to use a light line and flicky rod for fun but if trying for keepers a hand line so i can feel the lure for speed and weed

It is pretty difficult to troll for tailor as such, you would be better off looking for working birds and then trolling on the outside of them, don't drive through the middle of the school or they will only sound. :thumbdown:

Alternatively, when you find a school working, cut your engine and flick some small metal pilchard / sardine type lures at them.

What a blast when they're on - 2" to 4" metal blue / silver I have found to be most productive. :1yikes:

Rapala CD 7's and CD 9 's are deadly on tailor!

Definately can't go wrong trolling those lures though. :thumbup:

Cheers

Mariner

We caught probably close to 100 tailor last week.

Best lure is a shallow diving minnow of some sort, rapala's are great lures as mentioned and i've had them take little 1/2 inch metal slices up to 15cm deep divers without any hesitation.

I found the best lure was a rapala husky jerk 8 in a white/transparent colour which looked exactly like the whitebait they were feeding on.

Best trolling speed i found was about 4.5knots, make sure your lures action is constant not jumping out the water or getting tangled, try different speeds until you find the right one. Put your lures at different lengths have one in quite close that will sit just under the bubble trail left by your prop as this often attracts fish up.

Gear we were just using 8lb and they were easy as to get in, some fish were up around 55cm and took a bit longer but no drama at all.

If you're likely to pick up salmon or kings then 8-10kg might be a better option.

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

As you come in to southweast arm turn left and troll up to costens point where the underwater cable sign is

You should see bait schools on your sounder with some bigger fish around them that will be tailor

Try trolling CD7s and tilson barras though sometimes tilson minnow lures work better Troll them a long way back on light braid so they travel deep

Troll at a reasonable quick pace One time I was trolling on the leccie and caught nothing changed over to the main motor and started catching them

Quite often there they will drive the baitfish to the surface where you can start throwing matals at them or do as I do and throw SPs on heavier jigheads to get under them for big bream and legal reddies One time my :wife:caught a legal reddie on a metal by letting it drop to the bottom under the school of feeding tailor