Mullet Creek

Grantm

GDay FR's,

Me and a mate thought we would try the racks in Mullet Saturday in hope of some nice Bream. We have succeded in the past in Mullet on the racks but have prodominantly bait fished.We ahve pulled some 40 plus models out on heavy gear and know the fish are there. We are keen to improve our sp skills and thought this might be the go. Unfortunately things didnt go to plan but as always a good day out.

We headed straight to the racks but the tide was on the rise all morning and we found this made things very tough. Mate landed a small flattie but that was it. Our transom mounted lecci and a slight breeze, together with high water and our lack of lure fishing finnesse, made the racks too hard for us to fish. Couldnt see the racks nor hold position properly under these conditions so after loosing some gear very quickly it was time to rethink out game plan. We were still keen to nail a few so quickly came up with some alternatives.

Had a go on the bridge pylons but this was also harder than expected. Transom mounted leccis are just not up the job in strong current and a breeze when trying to fish and hold posi. Got in tight right on the back of the main pylons and fished the eddie's, had a few good hits but no hookups and just to hard to hold posi.

Thought we would make a dash for calmer water, so back up Mullet to see what else we could find. Found some floating racks up the train line side and cause it was quiter and you could see the racks we drifted up and down these.

Second run produced a hit on a Berkley Gulp 2 in PSeed grub,took it very hard and I thought I was in. Got it to the boat after a quick tussle and pop, of she came. At least I saw it, and it was a good size. Few more drifts and nothing. Decided to do a slow troll back through these leases with sx40s and landed my first for the day althought undersize was a relief to boat a fish.

With the high tide headed for some flooded mangrove areas which looked good but didnt produce. Headed further up and fished the shorelines, and although we had a couple of hits and follows was no good. Threw every type of grub, Bass Minnow and hb's we had as well.

Last chance, headed to Dangar Is to hit the wharves. First wharf I put a Grass Minnow right under it and wham ! This was a good fish, unbelievably it ran straight out to the open and I was hangin on, played it for a bit with a huge bend in the Raider and started to celebrate when - of course - I pulled the hook. Arhhhhhhh. :ranting2: Tried a few more wharves for nothing and headed home.

I must say I have a new found respect for this type of fishing and those of you who do it well. Its bloody hard work. I have been lure fishing now for about 6 months and although Im not catching as many fish, I am enjoying it a lot more than bait soaking. Although im keen to drift the racks again with nippers just to convince myself the monster Bream are there.

Sorry about the long report for no fish but Ill bet there is a lot of newbie lure fisho's who have done the same thing, and lost interest. Not me, im in. Cant wait to get back out there.

Cheers :thumbup: