Green Eyes

Guest Ben75

s6.jpg

Couldnt help myself had to get out and try and catch a few more Inkers to bring my squid stock back up to where it was before I Caught the jewie bug. Got down to my spot around 230pm started of at my first spot with the Daiwa jig in Orange 3.5 I stayed at my spot for around 30min then moved on as I normaly get one with in the first 30min in that spot . I then tried three other spots with the bright jig without a touch . I finally got to one of my end spots and changed over to the Gold 3.5 within a few minutes I had three good size Green Eyes in the Bucket and one tiny one which I released latter in the arvo to live another day :)

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

This little Green Eye was still kicking in the bucket after a few hours so I let him go.Took it a while to get going but once it did it went for cover straight for some kelp

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s7.jpg

Cheers Ben

Good work Ben, nice haul especially seeing you're landbased?

I usually find a jig in 2.0 or 2.5 to be most effective for getting all sized squid, but i guess thats not too important if you're going to freeze them rather than get little ones for live bait.

I know if i had excess they wouldn't end up in the freezer :1prop:

Gday Josh

Thanks Mate :) I use 1.8 up to 3.5 I don't use one main size I leave that on the conditions of the session

I do only use the one type of jig Love them . But conditions like yesterday arvo and I think Monday arvo I went out you would have no chance with anything smaller as soon as you cast your line would would be blown in one direction keeping your jig from hitting the bottom . Three guys did turn up on one of the sessions and they were using size 2jig and within an hour packed up and left . Some days when calm I love to use the smallest jig let it sink slowly down . But then a again saying that I find with the bigger jigs you have more of a feel with the jig . All My squid are Vaccy sealled allot of times the squid are still alive when I get home as I keep them in a 20L bucket with an airrater and change the water every 15min when Home I take a few pics then in the vaccy bags then in the freezer for a quick nap then take them out to seal the vaccy bags .I think I am back up to 60 squid in my squid stock now to start fishing :thumbup: The vaccy machine keeps them fresh I have taken home squid still vacumed and semi frozen and cooked them up Yum taste as fresh as the day they are caught .

fre1.jpg

Its hard to get a perfect tight seal as squid are so squishy . And I dont like to leave them in the freezer to long

to harden them up to achieve such a tight seal so maybe 10 to 15min in the upright freezer does the trick

I have gone back to using a napkin to soak up any ink or salt water which gets vaccied into the machine I have had my machine for about 2 or 3 years now and its still kicking nearlly died a while ago when I had one squid loose its ink when getting the vaccy treatment the machine was sick for a while but as come good but if you add a napkin in that does the trick

free2.jpg

These were the catches from the 14th & 17th arvo session

Squid2.jpg

The session below the third and fourth one's down were caught on the 3.5 but then

I could see a little one follow the jig in tried to have ago but backed of so I changed over to the same jig the gold but in the 1.8 and bang straight on

squid2-1.jpg

squid1.jpg

Well done Ben!! You are the new Squid King!!! Love your shots, too - worthy of publication in a fishing mag, for sure!! You should put an article together with the pics & submit it!!

Terrific idea to take the pic with the lure that did the damage too! Who makes that brownish one? I am still a newbie at Squid fishing - have had a few chase my hb lures, but not get caught! :1badmood: One must have had 10 goes at it & he was BIG!

Now everyone knows the secret for really fresh bait for jewies & Kingies!! The secret Vacuum machine! :thumbup: I bet a few FRs put one on their Xmas list! If they haven't, they should! If you take the vacc'd squid out with you (kept cool of course) & don't use it, just put it back in the fridge or freezer?

Have a great Xmas/New Year

Cheers

Roberta

Gday robeebee

:thumbup: Got to love the little Inkers

Gday Roberta

I dont know about squid king . But I will acept being called a squid Fisho as thats all I mainly fish for these days .I like to take pics of my squid at the end of the session I would love to try and take a picture of each squidi as it hits the deck for my records and just for the variety of colours they can change themselves to. But

when you get one there is a chance that its mate is at the same spot so casting back out is the wise thing to do. I like when they have been hiding in that deep red coloured kelp I get a few at my spot that come out that colour awsome . Some have a dark and light colorings like a two tone efect like they were in an area which was sand patch and kelp B) Vaccy machine how good are they :thumbup: One of my session's out on the kayak I took some squid for some mates for bait 1 packet came back still semi frozen I dont like to refreeze my squid so My Mate suggested should be ok to eat . That night with Kingie fillets I also had some calamari rings tasted as good as it was the day it would of been caught . Thanks for the Xmass & New Year wishes

I hope you also Have a Great Xmass & New Year :thumbup:

Gday IWANNA JEWIE

I think you would have to do a search as there is probably a few shops that sell it I think this model is one of the better ones on the market . I got mine from good guys I think they still are around the same money as a few years ago but the vaccy rolls you buy have come down in price

Just an idea how it works I took some pics as I know Roberta users one and a few other members most lkely do.

The Machine

vac.jpg

Step one

Cut your bag to required size

vac1.jpg

Step Two

One end of the bag has to be sealed by putting one end of the bag straight inline with the plastic strip on the machine this heats up the special bag and forms a seal when the lid is closed and the button pressed and the green ight will come on then when it turns of done

vac3.jpg

Step Three

turn the bag around put what ever in the bag I didn't have any squid lying around :biggrin2: so grabed my phone :biggrin2: at least my Wife wont whinge when I drop this one over the kayak :ranting2::074:

Then make sure the bag this time is in the deep channel to vacuum the bag same as above close the lid hold down the button then the light will go green and when the light is done so is the job

vac4.jpg

Then all done with hard things like the phone you get a 100% seal

compared to doing squid you might get the odd little air pocket but nothing to worry about

vac5.jpg

Vacummsealed.jpg

Cheers Ben

Gday Dan and Greg

Thanks Mate .

But no Thanks for telling me about the yummy Salt & Pepper Squid :beersmile: Now I wish I saved the last lot for a feed :biggrin2:

Cheers Ben

Good one Ben!! I have been using mine for 'meal portions' when we go camping for a few years now! I have the Sunbeam one - if you are planning on eating your fish/meat within a few weeks, you can just leave them in the fridge (make sure there are no air pockets first tho! ) If not, just freeze them & they last longer in the freezer without getting freezer burn! Just gotta be careful fish spines don't pierce the bag or air will get in!!

Properly vacuum packed, meat will last for months in the fridge! I bought a whole vacuumed Rump once & kept it refrigerated for 12 months for biltong, before getting around to doing it!! It was fine!! Just remember, when you open vacuum packed meat, it will have its own 'particular smell' when you unpack it ..... some folk may think it smells 'off' but it is actually a natural 'bloom' that is the result of the meat just tenderising in its own juice! Just wipe it with a paper towell & throw it on the BBQ! YUM!!

If you ever see ANY vacuumed meat or chicken being sold cheap in the supermarkets when it is near its 'use by' date - buy all of it!! It will still keep for weeks in the fridge or months in the freezer!

I googled 'Vacuum machine' yesterday (Aust Button) & found lots of different brands available now! Even ALDI had one for sale earlier in the year for about $100 & it looked a top unit! Mine was about $200 or more. If you can, get the longer unit (takes the 30cm rolls) as I find mine is a bit 'small' sometimes (takes 22cm rolls.)

Great for re-packaging cheese, nuts or meat that you may buy in bulk & not want to leave open for a while. You can even pre-package soups & casseroles (put the rice in with it), then take them camping with you (in an Engel or iced), re-heat in a pan of hot water ....... put them on a plate & eat it, then use the hot water to clean the one dish & fork! Easy Peasy!!

Terrific Xmas pressie

Cheers

Roberta

Hey Ben

Good to see there's another Eastern Suburbs land-based squid fisho out there. I have no doubt that we fish the same areas.

If you know where to go (and when) it's difficult to miss a good haul of squid off the ocean rocks, particularly when the swell is down. I had to let five good size fellas go out of a haul of 10 the other day since the freezer is almost full of frozen inkers.

Now comes the hard bit - converting them into land-based kingies and jews! That's the part I totally suck at.

Hey - if there are any experienced beach jew guys out there looking for a partner for Eastern Suburbs sessions then let me know. I have a LOT of good frozen squid baits going begging!!

Gday adjustedpete

Mate if you get one you wont be disapointed :biggrin2:

Gday Roberta

Thanks for the extra tips :thumbup: As My wife and myself both work I find it great to vaccy meals in advance . I mainly bought the machine a few years ago to buy bulk Meat and vaccum and put in the new upright freeze at the time . Even some times when I have the time I fire up the weber and do a few chooks in the kettle bbq when cooked cut up to the portions I want to vaccy and then vaccy them . If I plan to have chicken with dinner simple get what ever size out of the freezer in the microwave .and I swear it taste like it has just come of the weber :thumbup::thumbup: Easy meal for busy working parents . All I have to do is cook up some vegies and maybe some rice and chicken done in no time. I also vaccied fish for the first time with my first Jewies the other week . And we had some the other night Took out of the freezer and defrosted it in the fridge yum

Gday Mondo

I might not be local But I do my Squiding over there great spot. The thing I find with my spot most squid fisho's I have seen there walk past all the spots as they dont want to get wet . My mate got me onto some awsome rock hoping boots so I have some good grip so I like to walk along the rocks and flick out sometimes at high tide in nearly waste deep water . I will be keen to catch up for a squid session maybe heading out next week .If I do I will send you a PM

Cheers Ben

Gday Roberta

I Love Cooking . But the house I moved into May 08 the kitchen is so small and the oven is crap compared to our last house doesnt really inspire me to cook.Most cooking is on the BBQ :thumbup:

Cheers Ben