Harbour Fishing

Josh88

:biggrin2: Well going out fishing yesterday on my birthday, what else would i of done. Was hoping to get amongst some kings with a good sized one thrown in there, it was not to be!

No squid, tried 5 spots for not even a hint so resorted to using squid from previous trips, this didn't prove to successful. Decided to try the newly eradicated western wedding cake and was using the big rods weightless seeing i think the kings are getting smarter, had bail arm open with a big head on one rod while i was putting a strip on the other, towed them around the cake a few times for no interest, pulled them up and of course the head is gone, must of been when the bail arm was open-BUT surely it couldn't of ripped it off 2 hooks when it was still partially frozen with no resistance with the bail arm not closed :wacko: Anyway off to quarantine where everyone has said the rats are.

They were certainly there for 1 out of about 8 boats. These guys were pulling them in about every 30 seconds while every one else just sat and watched throwing everything they had at the kings for no result.

Met Dave (Kingslayer) up there but left after cutting off my anchor having been stuck completely in the mess of rocks down there, i think i've figured out why they those people were getting fish whilst others weren't, i'd rather not say it completely but its in the bait, and it wasn't squid they were using, nor was it fresh. Something tells me the fish are getting smarter.

Having no anchor our only option was to find a buoy and we did so at seaforth for no luck then tried Pickering where 3 boats anchored near the pt where doing well but our buoy in the middle of the moorings burleying heavily didn't attract any attention.

Then headed to balmoral to meet friends for my bday, having no anchor i then had to drive the boat around to my grandparents place in neutral bay near cremorne and they took me back around. Had a good time at the beach but was then facing the prospect of driving the boat HEAD ON into the noreaster :1badmood::thumbdown: back all the way to roseville. Needless to say it wasn't a good experience, I got soaked, felt uncomfortable seeing that the harbour had become a dangerous washing machine with waves coming from all direction. I had to travel at around 3000rpm very cautiously in waters in waters i could normally drive at 4500rpm comfortably. Coming home to some awesome fishing gear presents was great though

Anyway hopefully do better next time, i think the problem is my brother, we never catch fish when he comes out and always do when he doesnt!!!

Cheers

Josh :1fishing1:

hey josh,

thats fishing - some days are diamonds some days are stone!

at least you figured out what the successful fishos were using for next time!

we fished north head a couple of weeks ago and a guy was killing em while all we could do was watch, the bait he was using was a dark colour like some kind of gut maybe??? were these guys using something similar? PM me if you dont want the whole world knowing.

Pete.

sorry to hear that your bday didnt turn out as well as it couldve, hopefully this "cursed" brother got you a good present. Any gear you want to mention or did you get a range of assorted bits and pieces

Am going to post it in tackle talk soon

Hey Josh,

Unlucky on the kings mate. I have been fortunate to have had succes on the kings, but as you say they are certainly wisening up, especially the big boys. I have been using lighter gear and when i did hook 3 biger fish they all busted me off on the bottom :thumbdown:

What size boat do you have? I have a 3.9m tinnie and its a rough ride when the wind gets up on the harbour...

Better luck next time mate, try some lighter gear on the rats

Andrew

Guest Aussie007
Well going out fishing yesterday on my birthday, what else would i of done. Was hoping to get amongst some kings with a good sized one thrown in there, it was not to be!

No squid, tried 5 spots for not even a hint so resorted to using squid from previous trips, this didn't prove to successful. Decided to try the newly eradicated western wedding cake and was using the big rods weightless seeing i think the kings are getting smarter, had bail arm open with a big head on one rod while i was putting a strip on the other, towed them around the cake a few times for no interest, pulled them up and of course the head is gone, must of been when the bail arm was open-BUT surely it couldn't of ripped it off 2 hooks when it was still partially frozen with no resistance with the bail arm not closed wacko.gif Anyway off to quarantine where everyone has said the rats are.

They were certainly there for 1 out of about 8 boats. These guys were pulling them in about every 30 seconds while every one else just sat and watched throwing everything they had at the kings for no result.

Met Dave (Kingslayer) up there but left after cutting off my anchor having been stuck completely in the mess of rocks down there, i think i've figured out why they those people were getting fish whilst others weren't, i'd rather not say it completely but its in the bait, and it wasn't squid they were using, nor was it fresh. Something tells me the fish are getting smarter.

Having no anchor our only option was to find a buoy and we did so at seaforth for no luck then tried Pickering where 3 boats anchored near the pt where doing well but our buoy in the middle of the moorings burleying heavily didn't attract any attention.

Then headed to balmoral to meet friends for my bday, having no anchor i then had to drive the boat around to my grandparents place in neutral bay near cremorne and they took me back around. Had a good time at the beach but was then facing the prospect of driving the boat HEAD ON into the noreaster 1badmood.gif thumbdown.gif back all the way to roseville. Needless to say it wasn't a good experience, I got soaked, felt uncomfortable seeing that the harbour had become a dangerous washing machine with waves coming from all direction. I had to travel at around 3000rpm very cautiously in waters in waters i could normally drive at 4500rpm comfortably. Coming home to some awesome fishing gear presents was great though

Anyway hopefully do better next time, i think the problem is my brother, we never catch fish when he comes out and always do when he doesnt!!!

Cheers

Josh 1fishing1.gif

you should have put your brother to good use as burley :P i donno what the go is with the kingy's but on botany bay last weekend 3 boats out of 15 were hooking up to kingy's we were one of them the rest were just watching our bait was only a few days old frozen squid with LOTS of ink i think the kingy's sence the ink and know the bait is fresh?

:1happybday::1happybday::1happybday::1happybday:

Our boat is a 17ft Centre Console and it was more the fact that i was heading straight into it and then along side it which made it so hard to get through.

I don't think its in the specific bait they were using, more just the fact that they're being caught on different baits which they aren't used to probably already having been caught on squid and being thrown back.

I think it might be time to get a downrigger :wacko:

Josh

Hi Josh,

We caught heaps of undersize kings yesterday, with nearly all of them caught on fresh squid strips covered in as much black ink as we could get on them. The other thing that improved the strike rate was to fish the strips unweighted.

Craig