Can I Use A 27mhz Aerial With A Vhf If I Cut And Put Appropriate Plug On It?

wonniefisho

Hey all,

Am I correct in assuming a VHF and 27MHZ aerial are both just coax attached to the aerial and plugged into the unit - ie physically the same except for plugs? Can I save myself $80 or so and use the existing 27mhz and cut the 27mhz plug off and attach a VHF style or is there something else in the aerial that is different?

Hey all,

Am I correct in assuming a VHF and 27MHZ aerial are both just coax attached to the aerial and plugged into the unit - ie physically the same except for plugs? Can I save myself $80 or so and use the existing 27mhz and cut the 27mhz plug off and attach a VHF style or is there something else in the aerial that is different?

There is mathematical relationship between the length of an aerial and the frequency of the signal.

That's the first problem.

Not sure of other problems, but I suspect they exist.

I suspect if you want your radio working at full capacity (and you do in an emergency) - you want a proper aerial.

But to be honest - I'm not sure how much it actually matters (5% performance difference? 50% performance difference?)

Mike

There is mathematical relationship between the length of an aerial and the frequency of the signal.

That's the first problem.

Not sure of other problems, but I suspect they exist.

I suspect if you want your radio working at full capacity (and you do in an emergency) - you want a proper aerial.

But to be honest - I'm not sure how much it actually matters (5% performance difference? 50% performance difference?)

Mike

Thanks mate.

I've been looking around and noticed a few of the manufacturers seem to make exactly the same aerials, with the same part number other than a different letter at the end and was wondering if they were in fact the same aerials with a different plug. The current 27 mhz aerial is about 6ft, and one of those removable ones that screw into a round basemount which is earthed to the hull.

If I HAVE to change, I will, and in some ways it will be good as I will then have matching white aerials on both sides of the cabin, but if I can save the dough by changing the plug only, I'll be happy with the existing aerial too. :)

Hi Wonniefisho,

As Mike indicated there is a relationship between the ariel and the band.

Each radio wave is measured in length between the peaks of the radio wave, this is called the wave length. As such the correct aerial should always be used. They are usually tuned using a SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) meter which allows you tto match the antenna lentgh by trimming the wire in the antenna (or some meters have the ability to do this on the unit without trimming the wire).

Also it is not the length of the ariel that matters but the length of the wire used in the areial (usually wound around the outside of the aerial blank) and as such it is not advisable to go on length of the aerial to determine if it is the correct one.

VHF operates from 156 to 174mhz where as AM is 27mhz.

As such I believe it is best to have the right antenna for the right radio.

I hope this helps a little

Regards Sunnyboy

Hi Wonniefisho,

As Mike indicated there is a relationship between the ariel and the band.

Each radio wave is measured in length between the peaks of the radio wave, this is called the wave length. As such the correct aerial should always be used. They are usually tuned using a SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) meter which allows you tto match the antenna lentgh by trimming the wire in the antenna (or some meters have the ability to do this on the unit without trimming the wire).

Also it is not the length of the ariel that matters but the length of the wire used in the areial (usually wound around the outside of the aerial blank) and as such it is not advisable to go on length of the aerial to determine if it is the correct one.

VHF operates from 156 to 174mhz where as AM is 27mhz.

As such I believe it is best to have the right antenna for the right radio.

I hope this helps a little

Regards Sunnyboy

Thanks for the info.

Oh well, whats another $70! I'm spending it like its going out of fashion anyway! :)