Syd Harbour Rats 25-12-08

Penguin

Hi everyone,

Took some time off from all the Christmas activities and went for a fish midday Thurs,

I took my 6yr old son along as he was itching to catch a fish.

We anchored up around Clifton Gardens for a couple of hours and managed to

catch a half a dozen Flatties around the 38-40cm range. We decided on a move

after this and as no one was at the Quarantine ferry marker, we tried several drifts

and I threw all sorts of sp's and hard bodied lures around the place for a big fat zero.

At this point we anchored up near the marker and my son and I put the PPP technique

into action, we had instant success on rat Kings and a handful of nice size Trevs 38-41cm,

we also caught a few fish on crappy old servo Pilly pieces.

My boy had a ball catching and landing 5 Kings all by himself while I took some photos.

All up we boated 15-16 rat Kings between us. A couple of other boats visited the marker

while we were there, they threw sp's around but I never saw them hook a single King, and

we never hooked any Kings while these boats sat on top of the marker. Luckily none of these

boats stayed around any longer than 10 mins, soon as they would leave the Kings were in our

berley trail again, we could actually see them taking the baited hook and run with it before closing

the bail arm on them. Even though the Kings were small they were fun on light gear and the kid

really enjoyed catching them. We took home 6 Flatties and 5 Trevs for the frying pan as well.

penguin

A lil King

post-1664-1230255795_thumb.jpg

My son catching them

post-1664-1230255814_thumb.jpg

The fruit of his labour

post-1664-1230255838_thumb.jpg

The kid releasing his King

post-1664-1230256174_thumb.jpg

Catching another

post-1664-1230256201_thumb.jpg

Succesfully landed

post-1664-1230256232_thumb.jpg

This King had a deformity of some sort in his tail

post-1664-1230256483_thumb.jpg

A little King

post-1664-1230256503_thumb.jpg

Another

post-1664-1230256530_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

i was out there that day too, i didn't catch any kingies, i was using some squids i had frozen up from about 1 month ago. I also used yabbies. We also caught about 4 flatties, a leather jacket and some snappers.

It was a slow morning. The harbour was beautiful and so was the weather.

Great to see the young kids learning fishing techniques.

Well done

Happy new year

Here's a pic,

use a medium size prawn, peel it then feed a size 1 or 2 baitholder hook into

it as per the pic, and then free float it down into your berley trail, if the Kings

are there and they are hungry they should jump on.

post-1664-1230295876_thumb.jpg

Great report John, and some terrific photos of the young bloke on the rod. :thumbup:

I noticed his reel is configured left - handed ... is he a natural lefty? Any session spent with your kids on the water is great fun. To get them onto a school of rats like that is pure icing. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Just read your report, we were fishing Clifton Garden for some of the time as well, Maybe you son and mine can start a Comp, I think yours has the Edge as you seam to know what you are doing :beersmile:

Fantastic

Regards David

.......use a medium size prawn, peel it then feed a size 1 or 2 baitholder hook into

it as per the pic, and then free float it down into your berley trail.......

post-1664-1230295876_thumb.jpg

Well done John, good to see the little fella getting among the Kingfish. :thumbup:

I reckon your peeled prawn photo should go straight into articles under the the heading of Best Fishing Bait for Mullet to Marlin and everything else that starts with the letter M. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Great report John, and some terrific photos of the young bloke on the rod. :thumbup:

I noticed his reel is configured left - handed ... is he a natural lefty? Any session spent with your kids on the water is great fun. To get them onto a school of rats like that is pure icing. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Hes right handed like me, I just prefer to have the reel handle on the left, feels

more natural to me, I got no prob using the handle on the right side of my overheads,

but the right side on an spinning reel I just cant do.

penguin