Jim Bream

jim bream

I hit the water at 6am bagged a few bream early on, after that it just died. Moved around alot, made 5 different locations, and only producing one fish per location. There was no fish on top of the bay what so ever. So i went back down to where i started and i bagged a few more and went home about 10 am, still very early and not much happening in the bay. I picked up a good whiting which was 44 cms another 2 at 40cm, a 36 cm bream and a 40 cm trevelly. Try again in the coming days and hopefully it will be better, but its very slow in botany bay.

post-6195-1230277900_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1230277934_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1230277954_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1230277979_thumb.jpg

post-6195-1230277994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jewhunter

mate i was in the bay today

kingies were going bezerk at Molly Pt.

we got done on some big ones...

at one stage we had a double hook up and other boats around had there reels screaming also..we sawa a few guys pull in some monsters.

it was great fun with plenty of baitfish around.....i guess that got them stirred!!!!

cant wait for tomorrow as we are heading out again.

Hey Jim,

I too was in the bay looking for a bream.

I found only tons of that brown algae weed.

Each chuck brought back about 5kg of the stuff.

I ended up putting the bait away and I spun up a couple of nice 55cm flatties on squidgies.

I'm not really am SP man but I resort to them when baiting is quiet...

Did you get that brown weed infestation where you were fishing?

Also were you using tube worms or beach worms?

I understand bloodworms are no longer available.

Can I ask what depth were you in?

Tony

When that weed is in one waterway its every where they spread very quickly and theres no stopping it just dont let your sinkers hit the bottom best way is not using sinkers :thumbup: catches more fish

But if you call that slow fishing your crazy that is one big feed man

Congrats :thumbup:

A.dawg~~~

Hey Jim,

I too was in the bay looking for a bream.

I found only tons of that brown algae weed.

Each chuck brought back about 5kg of the stuff.

I ended up putting the bait away and I spun up a couple of nice 55cm flatties on squidgies.

I'm not really am SP man but I resort to them when baiting is quiet...

Did you get that brown weed infestation where you were fishing?

Also were you using tube worms or beach worms?

I understand bloodworms are no longer available.

Can I ask what depth were you in?

Tony

Hi Tony

The weed was everywhere, I think this is a problem when fishing once you reel the line in the bait gets tangled in the weed, I was using nippers and i had one bag of tube worms. I generally just use nippers but i used the worms for the whiting. I was in 6 to 7 ft of water that keeps the snappers away.

Did you catch any bream?

Hi Tony

The weed was everywhere, I think this is a problem when fishing once you reel the line in the bait gets tangled in the weed, I was using nippers and i had one bag of tube worms. I generally just use nippers but i used the worms for the whiting. I was in 6 to 7 ft of water that keeps the snappers away.

Did you catch any bream?

Hey Jimmy,

No bream at all. I fished in 3.5m of water wide of silver beach. Last week there were some fish there and not in any of my other spots I visited so I went there on Friday 26th. There was so much weed there, it was getting caught on many different points in the mainline, not just the sinker and hook. Over 5kg of it every time. It drifts with the current at all levels of the water column. It quickly covers the bait and the fish can't find it. I resorted to squidgie lure fishing but it too accumulated weed on every cast.

I went hunting around for areas free of this weed. The entrance to Quibray bay had nearly none - that's where I caught the flatties, but no bream. Do you find the nippers disappear from the hook very quickly? Also, you can't cast them very far. Do you get many bream on the tube worms? I find them too soft and they disappear way too fast.

So were you fishing mainly in the river mouth or actual Botany Bay? Did the fish bite early in one big wave then stop suddenly?

Hey Jimmy,

No bream at all. I fished in 3.5m of water wide of silver beach. Last week there were some fish there and not in any of my other spots I visited so I went there on Friday 26th. There was so much weed there, it was getting caught on many different points in the mainline, not just the sinker and hook. Over 5kg of it every time. It drifts with the current at all levels of the water column. It quickly covers the bait and the fish can't find it. I resorted to squidgie lure fishing but it too accumulated weed on every cast.

I went hunting around for areas free of this weed. The entrance to Quibray bay had nearly none - that's where I caught the flatties, but no bream. Do you find the nippers disappear from the hook very quickly? Also, you can't cast them very far. Do you get many bream on the tube worms? I find them too soft and they disappear way too fast.

So were you fishing mainly in the river mouth or actual Botany Bay? Did the fish bite early in one big wave then stop suddenly?

Hi Tony

I fish mostly on the towra side of the bay up and down, I don't have a specific fishing spot because i always move. I find fishing the right hand side of the bay is a lot better than the left side of the bay (runway side). I think bloodworm is probably the best bait for bream and then nippers only because the bloodworm stays on the hook better. Years ago we used live prawn, they used to sell them in the bait shop since the trawlers left the bay we cant get it anymore, but was the best all round bait for all species. I don't fish the mouth of the river for the simple reason you have to fish it on the run in. When you fish in the bay it really doesn't matter run in or out tide. The fish bit as soon as i got out there, I was off towra, but then i decided to move up to target bigger bream and there was nothing further up so i moved back down just before i left but i ran out of bait, i picked up a few more from where i started. If you want to target bream you have to fish around towra, but don't sit there and wait for the bream you have to find them, that is how i fish, i search for the bream, i don't wait for them. With the nippers if you put them on right they shouldn't come off. Hook nippers through the tail and up through its legs. If you go through my last years posts you'll see why i say its slow.

Bye from Jim

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for that. I don't suppose we can swap email addresses.

I just wanted to run some statistics past you.

A couple of months ago, I was getting fish around quibray bay in VERY shallow water.

Then they went quiet there, so I tried another spot and got them there nicely for a few weeks,

then quiet there. as well. Then I found them on silver beach - now they're quiet there too.

I also move around and do a lot of very specific little tricks - I just want to see your opinion based on your experience... I have kept data in a spreadsheet for the last 4 years at least.

Anyway, I hope you're interested in swapping some thoughts....

Tony

Some nice Bream & whiting jim. I fished the same area from 6am that day. Got two nice flatties (55 & 58cm) using SP. Had a prawn on a line drifting out the back and only two small bream. Left there about 9am and picked a nice flounder at Towra. I fished Brighton last week and encountered the brown weed not yesterday. Good luck next time.

mate if thats a slow day the rest of us must be pretty ordinary fishos!

Check my previous posts on pages 51 and 63 from last year. Then you know why i say its a slow day. I've been fishing the bay for 10 years +.

Regards from Jim

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for that. I don't suppose we can swap email addresses.

I just wanted to run some statistics past you.

A couple of months ago, I was getting fish around quibray bay in VERY shallow water.

Then they went quiet there, so I tried another spot and got them there nicely for a few weeks,

then quiet there. as well. Then I found them on silver beach - now they're quiet there too.

I also move around and do a lot of very specific little tricks - I just want to see your opinion based on your experience... I have kept data in a spreadsheet for the last 4 years at least.

Anyway, I hope you're interested in swapping some thoughts....

Tony

Yeah we will swap email addresses and ill leave you my mobile number. I'm going out Tuesday again to see how things are out there.

Regards to quibray bay and silver beach i do a lot of fishing there too but in the later months of the season. You get some really big bream there, but i don't think the time is right for these 2 spots at the moment, thats just my opinion.

Regards Jim

Check my previous posts on pages 51 and 63 from last year. Then you know why i say its a slow day. I've been fishing the bay for 10 years +.

Regards from Jim

Yeah we will swap email addresses and ill leave you my mobile number. I'm going out Tuesday again to see how things are out there.

Regards to quibray bay and silver beach i do a lot of fishing there too but in the later months of the season. You get some really big bream there, but i don't think the time is right for these 2 spots at the moment, thats just my opinion.

Regards Jim

OK Jimmy - my email is:

saratoga02@optusnet.com.au