Poddy Mullet

BTK

Are poddy mullet worth using for live bait off of the beach? may be a stupid question but i only just started beach fishing so i dnt have a clue :wacko:

Cheers

Cory

Hi BTK Juvenile mullet are known as poddy or mangrove mullet and fished off the beach, particularly a beach that is a fair distance away from the closest river mouth, is certainly a very attractive out of area bait.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

well another question why im here, i was thinking of getting a hand reel and setting up like a float on the live bait rig and sending the poddy out on that into the channels closer to the shore instead of setting up 2 beach rods which can be a pain to handle but im thinking it might be a bad idea if something big actually decides to grab ahold of it lol, what do you guys think?

Cheers

Cory

i would cast out with a 3oz snapper lead 45cm heavy trace 5/0 hook with a live mullet when sinker hits bottom slowly free spool bait out another 10 to 20mts and wait

i have caught big bream and jew on the runout tide especially at the entrance to narra lake

also try live prawns as they are running at the moment

try and cast to deeper water if possible

good luck

peter :1fishing1: