Coffs Harbour... Landbased... Help

VA911

Guys i got all the gear and a heap of know how.. But where to go and what to target?????

I will have with me 2 X 12 foot rods loaded.. a 7 foot spinning stick 6-8kg and a 7 foot 6lb light spin stick for bait and bream etc..

Now where to go and what to target with what i will take with me.

heading up after the silly season.

Cheers.

Vince

Hi VInce

You could use the flick stick over at the Marina - I have fished from some of the jetties there & on the other side (looking towards the jetty) is a Breakwall, plus there is the 'entrance' to the marina too. Some big fish hang around the yachts/boats.

I have heard of good fish caught from the beach & big jetty, but have never done well there myself. I don't think you can get to the lower level of the jetty now - so it is very high up! :1yikes:

Roberta

like most breakwalls, there should be fish hanging out along the bottom edge. It is not in a very tidal area so you shouldn't get snagged to much (you can swim out, if you do! :) )

both plastics & metals would work, I reckon, specially around the entrance of the marina.

I have only fished into the marina area. Lots of poddy mullet there if you want to catch livies (plus they are fun to catch & the bigger ones are great to eat, too!)

good luck

ROberta

Gday VA911,

I've fished the east side of the Island a few times. First time i was there i hit a school of dart, with constant hookups. They fight okay, and they pretty much hook themselves! Few days later on the south east tip, i was fishing and lost my last float, and i asked a fellow angler if he would sell me a float, he offered it free, but i paid him anyway. He was kind enough to show me a king fish he just caught and indicated they were busting up just off that rock that day on ganged pillies.

If you want to catch baby tailor for live baiting, there are heaps right now off the historical jetty. I just use a snap on plastic float with a metre of tough ~16lb trace and size 6 hook. Use anything on the hook, ive used nippers, prawn, random fish fillets. I found the fillets or worms the best. It's quite enjoyable watching the float go sideways when the baby tailor smash the bait down below. A split shot half way really helps keep it down too.

I'll be up there after NY for a few weeks, and pretty much plan to fish every single day! How long u planning on holidaying for!