Are The Prawns On In Lake Illawarra?

Flatty.Fan686

Hi everyone .

Will be heading down to Wing dang on Sunday the 4th until the 7th .

Just wondering if anyone knows if the prawns are on in lake illawarra , or any other fish species ?

Cheers , Rhys :1fishing1:

i was there a week ago, heeps of prawns and crabs, but only managed a few little choppers and no breambos...

not sure if they are still running now, go see the guys at deans bait and tackle for better info.

regards, dan

we were in a boat.

we wernt intending to go prawning, but in reality the was too much traffic on the water and all the fish were being shy, throw in the fact that there was really way too much food in the water and we couldnt get then to take anything with a hook in it.

we fished from around 9pm till 5am, and even at 5am when we left there still would have been 50 boats on the water (100's when we kicked off tho), noticed only about 10 or so boats actually fishing, everyone else had lights in the water...

if you have never been prawning before, get yourself some good lights and a lot of battery's, bridle the boat sideways and wait for the prawns to come to you. the trick is to let the prawn run into your net, dont go looking for them as they will jump if they think your net is in the water.

if land based do the same thing, but definitely wear decent shoes. and watch out for the spiny little fortescue (spelling) as they give a nasty sting if you touch them.

Also, there are some tagged breambos released in the lake, with one of them worth $5000, and a couple of flathead, so look for a tag if you hook up to one. i think details of the tagged fish are on the deans bait and tackle website.

that said i think they prawns would have stopped running now till late jan, but im not 100% sure.

cheers