Botany Bay 03.01.2009

Keflapod

Hey Raiders,

I went out to Botany bay on saturday for a bream, whiting (anyfin really).

5:30 saw me at the hot water outlet. Lots of rat kingies there with lures flying all over the place.

I saw some being caught but resisted the temptation. Why bother if they are rats?

But with boats driving all over my head, crossing my bream lines, I decided I was intruding on

someone elses turf. I fished silver beach - that dreaded brown algal weed was still there, but this

time there were some bream around. The squidgie boys were catching more fish than me (mostly

undersized) but there were some decent fish being kept. I gave it a go but could not get a bite as that weed

kept fouling the lure. It seems the squidgie boys didn't have that problem. I would like to know

what they were doing... Can anyone give me some pointers?

To cut a long story short, I fished quite a number of spots and finished up with 9 bream and 9 whiting.

All the mature fish were in spawning condition. It's shame to take spawning fish, but if I was to buy

my fish during the spawning month(s), then they too would be spawning, right? So there's no way of

escaping it...

Best bream went only 32cm and the best whiting was a nice elbow slapping 42cm (thank's to scrubworm

for that phrase!).

At least I can post a pic or two this time.

Hey Jim Bream, how about an email from you for your last trip into the bay? How did you go?

post-3021-1231071129_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1231071163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keflapod

Well done on a great feed of fish!

Just wondering if you were out there 0530 or 1730??

What part of the bay did you score the whitings?

We boated 2 ratties at the pump on Sat arvo. 60cm and a 55cm. Had my young nephew on board and he happened to score his first kingie. A happy kid let me tell you.

Anyone know where I can score yakkas in the bay from? I kid you not, I think ive only ever seen them in peoples live bait tanks..

Good fishing Keflapod :thumbup: there's some good size bream and whiting for the table in that lot!

A good haul for Botany Bay, about as good as it gets in the Bay and you certainly chose a good day to go out that's for sure.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Jim Bream, how about an email from you for your last trip into the bay? How did you go?

Hi Tony

Just got back from holidays thats a good catch you got there, you picked the right day. I was going to go tomorrow but i think saturday will be better hopefully. I haven't done any fishing just drinking. :beersmile:

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hey Baggin_out,

I would hate to think that if scrubworm and I DID get together we would be jousting rods at 5 paces. We would look a fine example to fisheries if they came to inspect our catch - knee deep in fish....

Fisheries: "What the hell are you guys doing?"

Fishraiders: "We're just having a little competition...."

Fisheries: "How many have you got there?"

Fishraiders: "Well scrubworm has one more whiting than me, but I've got one bream over him"

Jim Bream - I think you left the "r" out of your surname there.

Do you want to come breammin with me and scrubworm?

We might sink the boat !

OK OK only kidding - me and scrubbie can sink the boat on our own!

Actually I'm not out there killing them all the time but for those occasions when I do go out and manage to put a few together - hey, I do like to brag a little...but at least it gives us all an indication of when the fish are around...

Hey Salmon_hunter,

nothing gives me more joy than to watch a kid enjoy catching their first decent fish.

To them, the fish are larger than life. It puts the most brilliant smile on their face that you can never wipe off. Pity my seven year old boy is only interested in fishing on his x-box !

As for live bait in the bay - there's quite a few places, but when you strike out in a few places, it means you ain't gonna get any. Try close to the wall at molineux but be very careful of wind and tug-waves. Start at the brotherson dock end and sound out all the way to mol point - if no good, try the suction (where the breakwall meets the yarra bay beach) - again be careful near the storm water outlet - 1m rocks at low tide. If that fails, there's watts reef or the drums - there are other spots but by the time you check em all and get bait - mol point is full....what do you do? catch 22....

Jewgaffer,

Thanks for the feedback - I watch you posts as well - your knowledge on weather and how it affects fishing (mainly jewies) is something I hold in great awe. I have never studied the weather and it's effect on fish behaviour - I just go whenever time allows and apply what I have learnt to the hand of cards dealt on the day. If fishraider ever has some get-together - it would be a pleasure to meet some of you guys...

Was fishing the bay on Saturday aswell and we managed to land a coulple of nice Whiting and good size bream. Little school of tailor were about on the second runway for a bit of fun aswell.

As for Mol point, I think I counted about 20 boats early in the morning so steer clear from there these days.

Either way, good catch. We had the reddies move in so couldnt catch another whiting as the baits didnt last long after they hit the water.