Poddy Mullet Traps

Kirks

I agree they dont really work although if put at the right place at the right time u will get a few no more than 3

Try a bottle cut a hole ontop off one and stick 2 bottle by the lip together and put the bread in the one with no whole therefore when the mullet swim through the lip into the ceiled whole for the bread there is no escape

A.dawg~~~

the best place i find to get them is in rock pools. due to different reasons my mate and i had 6 months off work and we both were keeping barra in tanks at home. the have huge appetites and to satisfy them we would feed them poddys.we bought traps and made them the most successful 1 being that made from soft drink bottles.you need 2 the same and you cut the bottles end off of the bottom just throw it away.then you cut the top off were thetaper stops.and also just under the lid.turn it arond so the taper is going in to the bottle and we use to staple it. not too much bread in it either. the bottles can just slip over each other.and make sure theere is no labels left on them the poddys get spooked. and check the bag limits think there is 20 but not sure. also let it soak a while 20 mins or so and you dont need to weigh it down found best results were when trap was floating in shallow water. and we use to slowly introduce fresh water to them and they would last for ages in tanks.

you can buy cheap ($7-$20) mullet traps from most fishing stores, I found the best way is firing up the mullet with bread crumbs first in shallow water then putting your trap in so it does NOT sink to the bottom, of course with bread inside you should do well... I release the mullet "normally" about 20 into an enviro net and sort them letting the smaller ones go. normally only need to do this twice...

then flathead here we come...

Guest Aussie007

best trap to use is the clear plastic long tube type put a decent white float right above the trap and use braided line toss the trap out around 3-4 meters out where u can see the poddy's swimming around than toss some bread right on top of your trap the poddy's will go right up and around the trap in feeding freenzie and before u know it your trap will be full we fill our bucket really fast this way but keep this method hiden as some people that catch little fish to eat seen us doing this one time now our lake is empty no poddy's anywhere to be seen :(

I agree the long clear traps are the go....avoid the ones with holes drilled all over then. Poddy's will feed on the outside rather going inside.

Weight it down with a large sinked or two, submerge so that the trap is covered by about 20cms or so.

I found whilst on holidays last week, i was pumping nippers and had the trap down current from the stired up nipper silt and they seemed to love it....in fact i had no bread and used a 2 month old breakfast bar in the boat...broke it up removed the choclate part and put it in trap and they climbed all of it...

Some one should tell Uncle Toby's to go into the poddy feed buisness!!!

I'm wondering wether rolled oats might also work?

......I found whilst on holidays last week, i was pumping nippers and had the trap down current from the stired up nipper silt and they seemed to love it

.......I'm wondering wether rolled oats might also work?

Hi Poddy Trapper Mullet have a liking to seeds so rolled oats would probably work. They will expand if you wet them and I reckon they would be firm enough to wrap around a fly hook.

I used to fish the Hacking for quite a few years with a retired builder from Hurstville Grove. We fished for whiting and flathead every second week to coincide with an early morning bottom of the tide. We would pump the sand island towards Lily Pily after rowing out from the old hire boat shed which was just to the right at the bottom of Grays Point Road. We'd fish back into the pumping area for whiting and flathead and would also catch long toms and garfish.

We also used to do early morning landbased sessions at Mainbar and every time we went past Audley, we used to pull over and get a good supply of poddy mullet alongside the weir. We used to burley heavily with bread, and he had two long wooden handled landing nets covered on the inside with shade cloth. When the mullet got into the burley he used to say make it obvious you are hand feeding them and lead them in close. He would then put a landing net in each hand outside the mullet school and gently work the opposing landing nets together a few inches at a time. The mullet always hung around long enough for us to get more than enough bait for our session at Mainbar and he also used the same nets for prawns at Mainbar and believe it or not he used to catch squid and blue swimmers there using prawn lights and the same two landing nets.

I can see no reason why you cannot do the same at Mainbar right now, give me a holla Poddy Trapper if you want to give it a go one night, you do all the trecking along the sand and I'll bring a chair and some rods. There's got to be some good fish behind the prawns which ARE THERE plus blue swimmers and flounder! (Edit checked with Cungee George) The prawns are in hundreds right now (George says they are fairly small prawns) and there's a lot of blue swimmers there too with many signs of fish streaking away behind the lights as well. The trip down from the car will be enough for me and I'll be happy to cast a couple of rods out behind the prawns.

I've spoken to George about the blue swimmers as he is very experienced in trekking along Mainbar and catching blue swimmers. Is there anyone else interested in coming along with George and myself when low tide is around 7pm?

I reckon the trip down to Mainbar would be well worth it, you'll learn a lot from George and the more out night crabbing the better.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi there i use a $2 clear bucket with the lid replaced by fly screen with a small hole cut in to the fly screen works to well. Last week caught 63 poddies in 20 mins

I had something similar, except it was a clear plastic goldfish bowl. Flyscreen was held on by a thick rubber band or a loop of elastic. VERY effective. Bread crumbs were soaked in tuna oil ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

thanks for sharing your knowledge guys :) I'll definitely try out the plastic bottle trick

I see some dark coloured little fish in the water that often nibble away at my soft plastics, these aren't poddy mullet are they? Anyone know what fish they are and if i can trap them the same way to use as bait?