Kingfish Landbased 8th January

kris

Hello again to all raiders,

As a result of not owning a boat and the need to cach a kingy, i have found myself fishing landbased. i went down to a spot in balmain with my cousin and started off using peeled banana prawns with a constant berly trail consisting of pilchard cubes and catfood. I got a few leatherjackets, snapper and bream. it was roughly 9 am and started to get a few yellowtail. With the livies in the bucket i rigged up my rod with a floaty and casted out with the wind and waited an hour. No luck. i switched to using a sinker with a meter trace. hooked the yellowtail onto the hook and casted away. In about 20 mins i was onto a kingy. At first the fight didnt seem like much, it felt like i was on to heavy seaweed, then zzzzzzzzz the rod went down and the fish ran. i was fighting the fish for 5 mins, then it took me around the pylon and snap the line flung back. The worst feeeeling an angler can feel. Losing a PB kingy. it would have beeen 80+cm... the yellowtail alone was 18cm. i have caught rat kings before, they are pinch piss.

After running out of live yellowtail, i was left with one dead one on my rod. I was bringing the line in to see 2 large kingfish chasing after it. i stoped for a second to seee if the kingys would take it and all they did was have a loook then turn around and swim off. that was it after that. ran out of bait and all lures havent been working weelll lately with kingys. they are fusssy especially the bigger ones.

another day without landing a kingy but at least i no they are there and what bait i need to use.

Kris "Iqbal"

HOW ARE YA SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

:1welcomeani: MATE!!!!

I got ur msg today! Bad luck on losing ur big one! I told you there is one bloody big dofference between the rats and the Hoodlums!

I will speak to you about it more later mate. We may go around that area with the boat soon. A 35kger was caught at JB the other day!!!

Talk soon mate,

Andrew

About couple of weeks ago I was fishing for flathead using SPs on 6lb line and a rat king hooked up but busted off when he was within an arms length. That was down at Thames Street Wharf, Balmain. They're definitely around :)

Hello again to all raiders,

As a result of not owning a boat and the need to cach a kingy, i have found myself fishing landbased. i went down to a spot in balmain with my cousin and started off using peeled banana prawns with a constant berly trail consisting of pilchard cubes and catfood. I got a few leatherjackets, snapper and bream. it was roughly 9 am and started to get a few yellowtail. With the livies in the bucket i rigged up my rod with a floaty and casted out with the wind and waited an hour. No luck. i switched to using a sinker with a meter trace. hooked the yellowtail onto the hook and casted away. In about 20 mins i was onto a kingy. At first the fight didnt seem like much, it felt like i was on to heavy seaweed, then zzzzzzzzz the rod went down and the fish ran. i was fighting the fish for 5 mins, then it took me around the pylon and snap the line flung back. The worst feeeeling an angler can feel. Losing a PB kingy. it would have beeen 80+cm... the yellowtail alone was 18cm. i have caught rat kings before, they are pinch piss.

After running out of live yellowtail, i was left with one dead one on my rod. I was bringing the line in to see 2 large kingfish chasing after it. i stoped for a second to seee if the kingys would take it and all they did was have a loook then turn around and swim off. that was it after that. ran out of bait and all lures havent been working weelll lately with kingys. they are fusssy especially the bigger ones.

another day without landing a kingy but at least i no they are there and what bait i need to use.

I was fishing from the 'closed' wharf opposite from Thames Street Wharf and my SP was maybe 10m out from the end of the wharf in about 4 or 5 meters of water when the kingy hooked up. I didn't see any others that day, but have seen them swimming right up inside the old shipyard next to the wharf when there's no wind and you can see deep into the water.

damn bad luck :mad3:

How far out were the kings?

I was fishing from the 'closed' wharf opposite from Thames Street Wharf and my SP was maybe 10m out from the end of the wharf in about 4 or 5 meters of water when the kingy hooked up. I didn't see any others that day, but have seen them swimming right up inside the old shipyard next to the wharf when there's no wind and you can see deep into the water.

wow thats awesome. Too bad i'll never go that far down to balmain, sounds like a nice place.

Happy fishing next time :1fishing1: