Hawkesbury Work Fishing Comp - Tactics

CaineM

Hi all,

Have organised a small fishing comp for some of the boys here at work. Got 4 boats heading out on the 30th from Apple Tree bay and fishing all Friday, returning Saturday for a BBQ lunch. We're restricting where people can go to the stretch between west head and the freeway.

Soooo ... what are your thoughts on tactics?

Fishing from a 4.5m tinny so plan is to do a couple of things over the time period:

* Livies at west head (maybe drop one down for a stray king)

* plastics and bait around Cowan Ck for flatmen and jews

* Livies, bait, plastics in main system for flatties, bream, jews

Still very fuzzy at the moment but probably taking enough gear to cover bait or plastic fishing for the four species above and just move about a bit.

Any help much appreciated :thumbup: . Will update tactics closer to the time.

Cheers

Caine

Hi all,

.....Have organised a small fishing comp for some of the boys here at work. Got 4 boats heading out on the 30th from Apple Tree bay and fishing all Friday, returning Saturday for a BBQ lunch. We're restricting where people can go to the stretch between west head and the freeway.......

.....Soooo ... what are your thoughts on tactics?

Any help much appreciated :thumbup: .

Cheers

Caine

Hi CaineM :1welcomeani: To Fishraider.

I trust this advice is meant for you personally and it seems your work mates might follow you and join us especially when you win the competition ay. :thumbup:

Slow drifting the alcoves with deepwater at the points behind you is the key to your flathead and jew in the main river at the moment. Fish the alcoves between points in the upper section in places like Croppy Point to the white sticks and back and fish the outskirts of Patonga and drift around as far as Dark Corner, dependent of course on water clarity and wind direction on that side...... otherwise Little Pittwater has thirty feet behind you just off the closest point to Flint and Steel and you can let out line for your jew and lure fish in close for your flathead....the other spots to try are the little points on that side near the red marker in early Cowan..... Bream have been scarce in the river for a good while now.... In saying that we'll soon see because a day like this Saturday with a north easter looks to be a good day to fish the shallower water around the moored boats near Brooklyn boat ramp and also to fish back in close in Porta Bay on the run in.... If the shallows are not working well work for your bream, try Wobby and fish back towards the ferry terminal and cast back in along the private jettys, under electric or parachute ....and then drift all the way to the new and old leases and anchor up and fish around the sticks at the tanks... fish in close in general for your bream, and also try in close in the deep water and also try fishing back into the current if you need too much extra weight because of the flow.....there is also a good chance of catching estuary perch along the shoreline in the Wobby area.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Thanks for that Jewgaffer :biggrin2: ... only hoping that fishraider will remain unknown to the other boys until after the 30th. Been a member for a while but never been active so I thought this was a good opportunity to start up.

One question I do have is about Hawkesbury prawns. What's the best place or way t get some fresh ones (apart from catching your own)? Are they sold somewhere? Saw a post that mentioned buying them off the pros (for bait only).

Cheers

Caine

Thanks for that Jewgaffer :biggrin2: ... only hoping that fishraider will remain unknown to the other boys until after the 30th. Been a member for a while but never been active so I thought this was a good opportunity to start up.

One question I do have is about Hawkesbury prawns. What's the best place or way t get some fresh ones (apart from catching your own)? Are they sold somewhere? Saw a post that mentioned buying them off the pros (for bait only).

Cheers

Caine

Hi CaineM

Local arrow squid works best for Hawkesbury jew and I reckon you'll be able buy fresh Hawkesbury arrow squid on Friday from Go Fish Pete up at Dural. Tell you what, seeing you are lauching at Apple Tree Bay, on Friday evening you could have a go for prawns right down into the shallows at the bottom of Jerusalem Bay, but make sure you don't run aground. It would be a good idea to dig in for a while and fish the hairtail areas for yellowtail and jew along the stretch opposite Pinta Bay.

Cheers

Hi CaineM

Local arrow squid works best for Hawkesbury jew and I reckon you'll be able buy fresh Hawkesbury arrow squid on Friday from Go Fish Pete up at Dural. Tell you what, seeing you are lauching at Apple Tree Bay, on Friday evening you could have a go for prawns right down into the shallows at the bottom of Jerusalem Bay, but make sure you don't run aground. It would be a good idea to dig in for a while and fish the hairtail areas for yellowtail and jew along the stretch opposite Pinta Bay.

Cheers

Just down the road from the Dural store so might have to drop past.

Regarding the prawns, was thinking of hitting Jerusalem as some stage so will make sure I pack a scoop net to poke around for some prawns.

Cheers again

Caine

• 3 weeks later...