Any Jervis Bay Reports?

spongy

Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know any current reports on the fishing in Jervis Bay.

In particular Point Perp and Middle Ground.

I will be down at JB this week and want to target kingies, snapper and flatties.

Also any advice on where to catch yakkas, slimies and squid would be great.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Guys,

I will be down at JB this week and want to target kingies, snapper and flatties.

Cheers,

Jeff

i was down there last week and there was heeps or undersize flatties and some decent size flatties while drifting for them at middle ground

on the last day we got some big samon nead the southen headland but other than that not much and hearing everone else there wasnt much but flatties but we couldent get out side because it was a bit to windy

hope this helps :1fishing1:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Jeff

I went down Late Dec and hit the rocks for sweet nothing... I did see kings below the rock ledge but they would not even take live squid from those rocks.

Went into target beach for 3 salmon and 2 bream one morning.

Worst xmas I have ever had there.

Hmmmmm, doesnt sound too promising. Might take the wakeboard as well the rods .....

Thanks for the replies.

Jeff

We were fishing every day from 27th Dec to the 4th Jan. On the 28th we had an epic day. Got up at 4am, caught a few squid in honeymoon bay. Headed out to longnose point by 7am.

Like something out of this world. 30 boats, everyone had a different trick for catching kings. You had dad and son cruzing around in a tinny with long line, sinker every foot big hook at the end (kind of makeshift downrigger), pulling up 70cm kings hand over hand. 3 mates in a tinny flicking soft plastics and on hookup the driver gunned it for deeper water. Old folks with yakka getting triple hook ups and high fiving. Must have seen about 50 kings pulled in less than 1 hour.

Oh and then there was us catching nothing on frozen pilchards (hadn't located the yakka grounds yet ;)

Action died back around 8:30am and we let the wind blow us back to murrays picking up 3 flatties on the way.

Asked around and got some points for yakka.

* NW side of island - about 100m from shore there is a drop off, lots of slimy and yakka (burley up)

* N of longnose point there is a little beach, anchor hard up against the rock wall 10m from the rocks and yakka on the reef.

We went to the second spot. Caught 3 yakka in 1 hour (not brilliant), didn't seem to be on the bite and stripeys keeps getting hooked. Everyone was back fishing for kings. ZIP, ZERO NILCHE!

Maybe 3 caught by other boats. Bay completely shut down.

Fished every day and nothing. We caught between 2 and 4 squid every day at honeymoon bay but that was all.

An italian friend who has been fishing every good day for 10 years said he has never seen everything shutdown like that before. He claims to catch 20+ squid every day.

Oh well. I'm just glad we witnessed 1 epic day even if we didn't catch anything.

wttmrwolf

PS if you are wondering why we didn't use squid for live bait, ask my italian father in law. He would use me as bait before a squid ;)

Edited by wttmrwolf
  • Like 1

Spongy,

You can get squid at Honeymoon Bay, Callalla Bay, Murrays Beach, Vincentia. Anywhere around the weed beds with a bit of structure. Kings are around middle ground, long nose, point perp cliffs. Drift outside the mouth of the bay for flathead. Marlin always a chance out the front in Jan-Feb.

Thanks guys!

Will let you know how I go on the fishing front.

1 more thing. I have been checking out the maps and see lots of "No anchoring" zones. Murrays Beach is definitely in the no anchoring zone, but I remember seeing a few sailing boats moored in the area.

How strict are the authorities with the no anchoring zone????

Jeff

1 more thing. I have been checking out the maps and see lots of "No anchoring" zones. Murrays Beach is definitely in the no anchoring zone, but I remember seeing a few sailing boats moored in the area.

I spoke with a ranger last week about the no anchoring near murrays beach. They overlook this rule if you are 100% clear of the weed beds. They prefer people anchoring 10 meters off murray's to people dragging their boat up onto the beach and squashing little kids when the wind blows the boat around ;)