Leader/mainline Knots Help Please

DarkHorse

G'Day Crew,

Having a problem with my leader knots failing where it joins the braid mainline. Recently been using the improved albright knot, which when tested works well.

Today I lost 3 Jackall Chubby's and various jig heads to knot failure :05: . In each case I snagged and before I could even put the boat in reverse to initiate recovery the knot has failed! :mad3:

Using Berkley Vanish 10 or 12lb leader and Team Daiwa Sensor 6 or 8lb mainline braid.

Any idea's. I have had a look at the slimbeauty but it seems to hard.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I have the same set up, 6lb TD sensor and 10lb vanish, i've had a bit of trouble with it breaking but i think thats down to me not having used really light line for a while, i always use a double uni, it helps to put a double in the braid first, takes more time but you'll lose less fish and lures this way. Make sure you're drag isn't too tight as well, backing it off a fraction has helped me.

Cheers

Josh

Rob,

I have issues with the Double Uni. If you look at the knot closely, you have two loops pulling against each other. This is not good. The braid will cut the leader every time.

The Albright and Slim Beauty are designed to avoid the loop to loop tension.

Try the slim beauty. It is very easy and pretty quick to tie on the water too!! It works in all line classes and will tolerate slight imperfections in the tie.

I rarely pop the leader these days and if I do, it is usually at the lure rather that the leader knot.

PM me if you need some info on the Slim Beauty.

Thanks Guys!

Will try the double uni and the slim beauty and practice practice practice. Tried the double uni and it looked like a tangle not a knot hahahaha............... :05:

Only using light gear for bread and butter species, all my heavy stuff was for barra in far north QLD and NT when I was there :biggrin2:

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

Rob,

I have issues with the Double Uni. If you look at the knot closely, you have two loops pulling against each other. This is not good. The braid will cut the leader every time.

I have used the Double Uni for many years I mainly fish 6/8lb braid and 8lb up ROCK leader, NEVER has my knot failed. The leader has broken and also the mainline but the uni has never failed. it has landed some massive fish. if you do it right with lots of lube and the right amount of turns you will not fail.

My 2 cents. :1fishing1:

Hey guys,

Been looking into this post further, I re-watched - Squidgy Secrets 5: The S factor.

They show many knots including the double uni. But they mention that you need to use a knot that you can do while holding your rod, being rocked around in your boat, in the water etc. You also need to have confidence in it.

So pretty much you need a knot you know how to tie well in all conditions and you need confidence in it!

Mike

This is so true, Its easy to tie at home but if you cant do your knot out on the water in wind and so on you can miss some great action... I have seen some people take up to 10mins to get their big fancy knot to work after 3 attempts... keep it simple and practice it. It takes me no time at all to replace a leader and lure due to sticking with the same one for so many years... double uni. :beersmile:

This is so true, Its easy to tie at home but if you cant do your knot out on the water in wind and so on you can miss some great action... I have seen some people take up to 10mins to get their big fancy knot to work after 3 attempts... keep it simple and practice it. It takes me no time at all to replace a leader and lure due to sticking with the same one for so many years... double uni. :beersmile:

or in 12 dergrees @ 4 in the morning :1prop: