Pittwater/brisbane Waters 13/1/09

Josh88

Hi guys,

Had a trip up to a mates place at Woy Woy situated on Brisbane Waters, went out on a charter they had organised with the local guide up there. Was quite a good day, got plenty of livies in quick time then took us 20min to get 5 good squid and we went off to the first spot where there was some activity on the surface with birds and the occasional splash so put a squid on the down rigger which was the first time i've been on a boat and used one and i liked it a lot, definitely a great way of catching kings, hooked one rat and got him in only about 55cm then hooked another on a sluggo off the surface on the 6lb gear, got him to the boat and he went for one last run and popped the 8lb leader (forgot to loosen drag there :wacko: ) but it was only another rat.

Hooked a couple more fish and got them in but all in the 50s so moved off to another wreck and downrigged around there, saw it moving and awaited it to come out the clip and it didn't but was moving still so we bring it up and we've foul hooked a 35cm bream in the top of the head who took the squid head anyway. Kept on going and seemed a bit quiet so we moved towards another wreck and then the rod really goes off, this was a better fish and it was my turn to grab it stupidly i dithered with drink in one hand trying to get the rod out the holder with the other, dropped the drink and got the rod out but it was too late he'd got us caught, couldn't get him out and line got cut :thumbdown: I've now learnt that fish comes before drink, i think i was too used to going lighter on the rats and that bigger fish caught me off guard.

Kept on going and moved to another spot and got some good tailor but couldn't catch more squid, got a couple more kings but all in the 50s still so moved up into Brisbane waters and got a 44cm flatty on plastics but was pretty quiet otherwise, foul hooked some jackets and caught some weird red cod thing. Didn't bother with pictures guys but it was a good day out and has inspired me to get some downriggers and fish pittwater more often :thumbup:

Cheers

Josh

yea was a great day out

maybe next time you'll do better than landing 1 out of 5 :biggrin2:

2 knot failures, 1 wasn't hooked so just the bust off makes it 1/2 which isn't so bad

Sounds good fun. Out of interest where did you pick up the squid Josh?

C.

I don't know pittwater too well but it was around the rocks opposite palmy