Setting Up A New Bait Runner Reel

achjimmy

Hi All

Just got a Dawia 4000 bait runner reel and 7ft 6-10kg ulgy stik. it comes with 2 spools and wanted to set one up heavier should i get the oppertunity to go after some Kings.

Was going to back it with some cheap 30lb mono and then use either 20 or 30lb braid for line. I choose those sizes for the diametres. Does this sound right?

Reel specs are

10lb 300yds

12lb 260yds

14lb 210yds

i do'nt under stand why people use mono as a backing is it the money or am i missing something

i have 2 bait runners and have a full spool off 30lb braid on 1 and good quality 30 mono on the uther

putting a knot in the line just adds a weak spot for the line to break

i.ve had plenty off fish take 150 meters off the spool before i could turn the fish so to use a backing line is just silly i think

gary

i do'nt under stand why people use mono as a backing is it the money or am i missing something

i have 2 bait runners and have a full spool off 30lb braid on 1 and good quality 30 mono on the uther

i.ve had plenty off fish take 150 meters off the spool before i could turn the fish so to use a backing line is just silly i think

gary

Some people think the braid will slip against the spool, surely that isn't going to matter though because you don't get near spooled very often.

gary

I'm with you Gary.

I always put about a dozen turns of mono on any spool under braid as it will slip under heavy pressure if just spooled straight on. There are other ways to avoid it like using a small amount of gaffer tape for the braid to bed into.

The reason for using a lot of mono backing under a short spool of braid is always just a cost issue. There are obviously a lot of circumstances where the backing is unlikely to ever come into play... fishing for flatties and so on... so fully spooling with braid becomes a 'luxury'.

I always fully spool with braid rather than 'top-shotting' because I have that 'you never know' attitude. A couple of weeks ago I caught a baby yellowfin on a bream outfit... that's when I'm glad I don't just have a top shot. I reckon I lost close to 100m of line in about 15 seconds.

Cheers, Slinky

I'm with you Gary.

I always put about a dozen turns of mono on any spool under braid as it will slip under heavy pressure if just spooled straight on. There are other ways to avoid it like using a small amount of gaffer tape for the braid to bed into.

The reason for using a lot of mono backing under a short spool of braid is always just a cost issue. There are obviously a lot of circumstances where the backing is unlikely to ever come into play... fishing for flatties and so on... so fully spooling with braid becomes a 'luxury'.

I always fully spool with braid rather than 'top-shotting' because I have that 'you never know' attitude. A couple of weeks ago I caught a baby yellowfin on a bream outfit... that's when I'm glad I don't just have a top shot. I reckon I lost close to 100m of line in about 15 seconds.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Slinky, i agree with you, however as you mentioned it really is a cost issue, spooling 1 reel when you can potentially spool 2 comes at a price, and the price of good braid aint cheap. I have on a number of occasions been lucky enough to see the mono peeling of my reel and have not personally had any issues.

But hey, if you have the coin and happy to spend it then its not a problemo! :biggrin2:

Edited by BillyD

gary

i use a doulbe uni knot :beersmile:

I'm with you Gary.

Cheers, Slinky

Depends on what you are doing with your tackle.

If you have a jew run in the estuary of 150m then you dont have your drag set right. If you have a king take you for 150m in the bay or harbour then you are extremely lucky to be not smashed against structure regardless of how heavy your rig is.

Outside is a different scenario obviously, no anchor rope, no bouys etc but if you are inside the backing is only a combination of padding and praying.

100/120m of braid is all you need to pay for when fishing inside.

Dave

Edited by davemmm