Finally Found A 445f

bombora

Finally found a Haines 445F in the local paper (Manly Daily), but almost fell off my lounge at the price wanted!!!!

$17,000 PLUS. Now can anyone tell me when Haines (stupidly) stopped making this model. Guessing mid-lat 80s? So the hull is at a minimum near 20 years old. Yes its got a new (2 stroke) 70hp Yammie and a new trailer, but $17,000 :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood::1badmood: .

Just goes to show that buying a classic from a top brand makes financial sense in the long term!

Might have to give this one a miss, though still keen on a 445F. Why? What other 15 footer could you fish the flats/bays one day and the shelf (Yep!!!!) the next (was a post on another site of two guys who took advantage of calm weather a few weeks ago to head to Browns in their little 445F).

Still hunting, Bombie

My mate Nick Brown at Port Stephens of monster kingie and marlin fame, has one and I must say it plays well out of its league on the bluewater front.

These boats are simply awesome fishing machines for their size.

Will try and get a photo to post

Hiya Swoff; tell ya what reckon a 445F would suit you to a T. Bream one day, bills the next. Easily trailered to Port or SWR or south for bream. A 4 stroke or E Tec and you could troll all day for bills for a lobster! Haines just seemed to get everything right with it; beam x length is spot on and a damn sexy hull which has a deep V to slice swell and chop but with seriously downturned chines to give good stability at rest. Nice bum to support relatively heavy larger outboards too. They can handle power if you want it. Plenty of guys used to put 100 plus horses on the back of the runabout version so they can ski! Hiya Byron if you can find a photo for Swoff that would be great. cheers Bombie

They wouldn't have been much more than that new would they??? What would you expect to pay?

Not sure how far you want to travel but found this one in the trading post

Haines Hunter 445F, centre console, new Dunbier Rollamatic trailer, 50hp Mariner, 15hp Evinrude, radio, custom cover, many extras, $14000 neg HUSKISSON 02-4441 5760

Mate I never got back to you on the 445f at my marina. Anyway the story goes it was off the water with major structural damage for some time. They wouldn't get rid of it but (I did ask for you), they have just spent 2 grand on stregthening the hull, It is super solid now. I jumped in it the other day and they have added a lot of glass in important places. :biggrin2: Good luck with your search. :thumbup:

Details from an owner:

The 445F seems to be getting more expensive on the second hand market as more people

realise how good a boat they are. I saw another one in south coast

trading post last week for 14k neg (see above details), i think it had a 50hp mariner and

15hp aux. One of my mates is also looking for one, but not for 14-17k!

Tell your mate if he sees a good one to get in super quick because they

don't last long.

Mate, i cannot say enough about them as a boat and just love em (had 3

now over the years).

Pretty big wraps, and in my experience there is no other small boat hull that has quite the same ability.

Apparently Formula are making a copy 445 using the old Haines moulds.....I am trying to track down the website and will post it when I find it.

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/ali...26/Default.aspx

Byron

Edited by Byron

Guest Jocool

I may very well be mistaken, but I thought that the 445 is the same hull as the V17. That being the case, there are still a few boatbuilders that have the moulds for this hull, and it is readily available. I'm pretty sure I have seen siomeone advertise an updated version of the V17!

I just found that one also Geoff.

The hull doesn't look that different reall, surely someone like Raffi could design something similar and just as versaitle.

34775[/snapback]

I'm sure he could. He really knows his stuff....

What about some thing like this

post-44-1109914516_thumb.jpg

post-44-1109914550_thumb.jpg

It was for sale on Ausfish a while ago for around $25k. Great looking piece of boat.

Joe the 445 is much smaller than the v17 hull I think the 445 and 146 haines are the same hulls though. There is a company around the traps somewhere that uses the moulds today for the 445f. You will find that all the original haines hull as designed by John Haines; ie early haines hunters and the Haines signatures are bloody fantastic. :biggrin2:

Hiya again guys: Hey Jo definately not the 17 footer. Great thing about the 445 is that its capable of so much in a 15 ft hull. They came in 3 versions: runabout and half cabin, plus the console. The runabouts are still fairly common the the 2nd hand market. Haines also made a sweet little 4 metre hull too but it doesn't have the versatility of the 445f. And yup the moulds for the 445 hull have been doing the rounds. A guy on the northern beaches, might well have been Felty of Salty fly fishing fame, got a little operation up and running a few years ago. They were sold through Enterprise marine at Narrabenn and were beautiful. Being a fly fisho his cokpit and console moulds were clean and pure, and his version had a few accents of teak (darlings :biggrin2: ) as well which made for a beautiful little machine. Don't know what happened but now Vico outfit Formula makes a version too, which has had rave reviews. Not as clean interior mouldings IMHO but beggars can't be choosers. Problem (for me) is the two "new" versions are around $28,000 with a 50hp. I'd want a 70 at least, as these things can handle the power!!!!

The other boats mentioned and pictures are gorgeous, but a lot bigger. The Haines is just such a neat SMALL package for a bloke living in crowded Sydney with parking problems etc.

Hiya Bash, thanks heaps digger for asking at the marina. Suppose it shows how could they are that a marina would bother repairing it!!!!

Hey Byron, I like your taste in boats!! Good to hear of a fellow 445F lover!

Also, is the pic of the bigger Haines console of old, the 18footer? rathr than the 445F? Looks just a tad long and lean in the pic for a 4445F, but maybe just the pic morphing a tad?

Hiya Jethro, thanks for the link but as has been said I was hoping for that rare bargain!!! I can ALMOST swallow 17k for one with new 70 yammie and trailer but 14k with older marina and I guess older trailer is a big ask. Then again........

Still hunting, Bombie (PS I still reckon a lot of people are gonna switch to glass from tin soo. Too many advantages. Even Starlo has ditched the alloy for classy glass!!!!! :1prop: )

Hi Bash; little tale of a whaler. ABout two years ago a mid-north coast boatshop had an ad in trailer boat for a privately imported 14 foot boston whaler console (a sweet little boat which has been discontinued from their line). Anyway, within a week of the ads going to press, the whaler had been stolen!!!!!! cheers Bombie

As a former owner of a 445F, I can only go along with everything said to date about them. I sold mine 4 years ago for $10,000 with a 60hp Merc on the back

My only reason for selling was my advancing age and the need for a little more comfort. Now well into my 50's, I found that getting wet and sunburnt every time I went out was getting me down, so I got myself an Allison 189. Great for you gung ho young guys though. It was a wonderful platform for throwing lures at surface fish. Mine was bought new in 1981 for just over $7000 and was on its second engine.

G'day Bommie

I was up at Newcastle on the weekend and there was a boat similar to the one in the picture for sale. It was in the yard at Fishermans Warehouse at Marks Point (I think?? It was very early :1prop: )

Might be worth a call. Phone number is 02-4945 8922

Guest Jocool

FOUND ONE BOMBIE!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Use this url! boatsonline.com.au/display_boat.asp?mid=BOL&did=PRIV&ref=nsw1885

Put in the appropriate prefix. :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool

Guest Jocool

The power of having 500 potential lookers for a boat is great! :risata: Between all the Fishraiders we were bound to unearth one sooner or later. :thumbup:

Let us know how you go Bombie!