Pittwater 16/1

BrettP

It has been a while since I could write a report, but finally got out fishing yesterday. Hit the water at around 530am at Brooklyn. Headed around to pittwater and chased some squid, but could only manage 2 in the first spot. We decided to move on and try elsewhere. As we were heading to the next spot, the sounder came alive with bait everywhere and predators hanging around. Set up my poor mans downrigger (400g jig) and started slow trolling with some frozen sqiud that I had caught a few days earlier. As i was trying to set up the second rod, the first goes off and my dad lands a 60cm king. Quite happy with ourselves we rebaited and started again, but not 2 mins later, we hook up again with similar result. After about 20 mins of this, the kings start smashing up on the surface, so I hurredly went for the brand new 2-4 kg rod that I has bought from go fish at dural earlier in the week. It was then that I caught my first 2 kings on plastic. They were only around 61cm, but I was stoked. It was incredible on light gear.

After running out of bait, we decided to chase some more. We could only manage 1 squid in around an hour, so headed back into the Hawkesbury as the wind was getting up. We decided to set ourselves up in one of the Hawkesburys worst kept secret spot X's for the last couple of hours of the run up. Sat there for the 2 hours with only catching one jew of about 30cm and a small ray. As it was getting a bit hot and blowey, we decided that we would finish our drinks and head home. As I was raising the can to my mouth for the last mouthful, my rod goes off and I land a 55cm Jew. No monster of the deep, but at least something to put on the BBQ after a long and enjoyable day out.

Total for the day, 11 kings all released, 2 small jew, 3 squid, 1 broken brand new graphite spin stick as dad lent on it against the side of the boat and 2 huge smiles.

Nice work Brett, seems to be plenty of kings in Pittwater at the moment.

How successful do you find the poor man's downrigger to be? Does it cause any problems?

Cheers

Josh

Seems to go ok. Braid tangles with the jig a bit, but we got 11 rats in about 1 hr, 9 with this method. Only problem is that you can't control the depth

g'day Brett,

Sorry I missed your post. Not too long till my life gets back to normal. Sounds like an adrenalin rush... Particularly those ones on light gear. The sound of light outfits spewing line with screaming drag and that out of control feeling is truly addictive. I bet you'll be getting out the light gear every chance you get.

Top stuff mate. Wish I'd been there.

Cheers, Slinky

Great Report, 11 kings would have been Great especially on the light tackle

We caught 1 on 4.5kg line and that was a heap of fun

How do you setup your Poor man Down Rigger, I have wanted to try downrigging but bot ready to spend even more money

Some one not mentioning names would kill me :wife:

Dave

Edited by Simda

Great Report, 11 kings would have been Great especially on the light tackle

We caught 1 on 4.5kg line and that was a heap of fun

How do you setup your Poor man Down Rigger, I have wanted to try downrigging but bot ready to spend even more money

Some one not mentioning names would kill me :wife:

Dave

I was shown by a charter operator. It is just a heavy jig, (I use 400g with the hooks removed) on a running swivel on the main line above another swivel which joins your main line and leader of what ever length you like. Very simple and seems to work ok. I would rather have the real thing, but the minister(ess) for war and finance would not be happy with the credit card statement.

I was shown by a charter operator. It is just a heavy jig, (I use 400g with the hooks removed) on a running swivel on the main line above another swivel which joins your main line and leader of what ever length you like. Very simple and seems to work ok. I would rather have the real thing, but the minister(ess) for war and finance would not be happy with the credit card statement.

Thanks I think we have the same Minister(ess) of Finance :074: