Urgent Help Needed!

fishguts

Stevo, as Jonny said, I had the same problem not so long ago.

Simple answer is to undo the smaller nuts either side of the engine where the steering cable goes in and use a piece of wood to protect your steering cable end while you tap/hammer the steering cable end through. Dont remove the large nuts as they hold the tilt tube in place and form the hinge for your engine, if you tap out the hinge tube you could drop the engine off the hinge/boat.

Once the cable is out give it a good clean and regrease it. You will need to clean inside the tilt tube & the outside and inside tubes of the steering cable. Turn the steering wheel left or right to get the inner sleeve out of the external sleeve. Both of mine had a thin layer of hardened grease & salt. I used some really fine wet and dry to break it up it up.

I will have to pull mine apart again as I could not clean all the crap out from inside the tilt tube, even with a brass shotgun cleaning brush & drill for over 20minutes. If you have a grease nipple on the tilt tube it doesnt actually get grease inside the tube, it only lubricates the outside of the hinge itself that tilts the motor.

Move the engine back and forward everytime you go past, and schedule a clean every so often, once you have done it once its pretty straight forward.

My previous post etc is at http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=34213&hl= or search previous posts using %steering%.

post-3151-1222175754_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve

Edited by copafisher