Trolling Lures

mark84

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some methods they may use when trolling diving lures such as rapala cd and xraps i was thinking of trying for a few kings i was told that you shouldnt have the lure more than 20 meters behind the boat and is fluro the best trace? I have tried a couple of times around middle harbour for zilch any help would be muchly appreciated.

cheers

Edited by mark84

firstly i'm very new to trolling but i start the day with a troll from south head to bondi weather permitting

the 20 meters sound right i never worry about a trace and tye the main line straight to the lure

mind you i run 2 bait runners with 30lb braid on one and 30lb mono on the uther as i troll in about 20 to 15 meters and have to stop the fish pritty quick or im reefed

i target in order bonito[snapper bait] kings [dinner ] sambo's [cat food]

give the tobinator a pm as he trolls the harbour with some good kings boated

i only troll the gap and north head

gary

G'day Mark,

If you're running 2 lures, they should be different distances behind the boat so that when you turn you greatly reduce the chances of them tangling. I usually run one lure about 20m back and another about 30m back on the odd occasion I troll. The other thing you should try when running 2 lures is to start with 2 different lures eg. one shallow, one deep running... perhaps one small, one larger, etc. When you find the fish's preference you can change over the second lure but it covers more bases until then.

Fluoro trace is a personal preference. It's pretty much all I use because it is less visible underwater, hard wearing, etc. but nylon is fine. Just remember there were plenty of fish caught before someone invented fluorocarbon. My personal attitude is to take every advantage you can get but don't sweat it too much...

Cheers, Slinky

firstly i'm very new to trolling but i start the day with a troll from south head to bondi weather permitting

the 20 meters sound right i never worry about a trace and tye the main line straight to the lure

mind you i run 2 bait runners with 30lb braid on one and 30lb mono on the uther as i troll in about 20 to 15 meters and have to stop the fish pritty quick or im reefed

i target in order bonito[snapper bait] kings [dinner ] sambo's [cat food]

give the tobinator a pm as he trolls the harbour with some good kings boated

i only troll the gap and north head

gary

Hey brickman .. have you been getting any bonnies of late? i havent got one in aaaaaages. Used to get em all the time trolling CD7 & CD9's along south head, but i havent got anything there for at least 2 yrs now ... granted i hardly try their anymore as im usually too busy chasing those stupid kings.

But back to the bonnies ... do u only use em for bait???

Coz i reckon they are just about the best sashimi you can get :thumbup:

a bit off topic as it's not my post so ill talk about trolling

as slinky said with the lures we start with the large red and white halco and a pilly looking one both 5 meter deep divers

on cloudy days and early the halco gets hit first on the brighter days the darker lures work better than the red and white

we have'nt picked up any bonys this sesion but have'nt really been hitting much lately and have been chasing reds at longy

gary

cheers fellas i have been using cd 9s in blue/red and pilly colours i think i need to keep at it as with anything persistance usually pays off.

hi mark

next time your in a tackle shop grab 2 smiths jigs one white and one pink in the small size run them out 10 to 30mts each side of boat around 4 to 8 knots

peter :1fishing1:

hi mark

next time your in a tackle shop grab 2 smiths jigs one white and one pink in the small size run them out 10 to 30mts each side of boat around 4 to 8 knots

peter :1fishing1:

gday pete

as you can tell i am new to this in fact ihave no idea but i thought it is time to target something other than blackfish (not that im getting bored with them) iwill let you know how I go with them.