Unknown Striped Fish

brendan.helsham

Question

4 answers to this question

I believe its an Eastern striped trumpeter. A description about it can be found here.

Fairly common, I think and never tried it so don't know how it tastes. Looks edible, though.

Cheers.

Thanks, looks like it. Couldn't tell you what it tasted like as we released it; it looked too small to keep. Now that I know that they only grow to 20cm, it might not be worth keeping. Looks like the young bloke actually caught a reasonable sized example of this fish.

They're a killer livebait for jewfish and will actively swim for hours on the end of a hook. Did you notice the constant croaking noise they make? Some have suggested the jewies home in on this noise, I dunno....but I've caught plenty of jewies around Soldiers Pt on live trumpeter. They are very common over ribbon weed/clean sand habitats where they are countershaded perfectly.

They are great fun for kids, just look at that happy face!

They're a killer livebait for jewfish and will actively swim for hours on the end of a hook. Did you notice the constant croaking noise they make? Some have suggested the jewies home in on this noise, I dunno....but I've caught plenty of jewies around Soldiers Pt on live trumpeter. They are very common over ribbon weed/clean sand habitats where they are countershaded perfectly.

They are great fun for kids, just look at that happy face!

That's very interesting. I'm a relative newcomer to fishing, so am reading and absobing as much as possible. As far as live bait is concerned, how do you attach a fish like this to the hook? What size/type hook would you use? Would you do this with an unweighted line?

As for the fun factor, he was also very happy because he caught it on my rod whilst I was baiting his hook....bottom line is that I rarely catch a fish when out with the kids, the fish always seem to jump on my line when I am baiting one of the kids lines and so on....

Cheers