Hawkesbury River

kelzurdz

Hey all, went to Hawkesbury River with a few mates yesterday, hire a dingy and went out to fish

we mainly fish under the road bridge and near it

we manager to catch some jewies - we caught about 6? but problem was, it was all under size, so we chuck it all back for it to grow.

Largest size we caught was 42cm

I was using my shimano twinpower 6000, size 7 hook small round sinker and was fishing at the pylons

I manage to get 2 jewies at the size 35 and 40

We were using live tailor as bait - cut into small fillets

we fish for a couple of hours - hoping to hit a big jewie, but whole day it was the under size jewies

I'm just wondering what gear should i place on my shimano ?

and any suggestion for catching big jewies at hawkesbury river be great!

thanks

Guys,

best for me is using a size 2x 8 hook..

fresh squid,

turn of the tide...

usually if its low tide, you will get losts of eels...

what also works is that large squid,,, or any large bait,, there is a hole between the 3rd and 4th pileon,,, on the south side of the bridge,,

running in to low tide be on the west side..

running into high tide be on the east side....

also-- use alot,, i mean alot of burly...

Sorry-- i forgot....

6500b baitrunner.......nothing beats that...

hey jewfish king

what bridge is the south bridge thats has a hole ? haha

and i was wondering, can i use a whole live tailor like the one caught at hawkesbury river for bait?

hook it from near its tail and cast it out? will that work for a big jewie?

All i can suggest is that if you want a big Jew, you got to use BIG BAITS, strips off a Tailor will not get you a big Jew, use that whole Tailor Live, this may entice them, its like offering a 130kg bloke a measly cheeseburger, he wants 16 big mac's!!!!!!!! Dont be afriad to use a 45cm Tailor live or butterflied, whole squid the size of your arm, or massive Cowan Young. The places you fish hold big Jew at the turn of the tides but they simply wont accept your little strips of bait.

yea i quite new to the fishing game hahaha

so don't know too much :P

yea i actually did hook a tailor on my rod before, but then i had like a very small sinker

Should I use a like size 6 or 7 sinker? or without a sinker so the fish can swim free?

Hi Kelzurds

You have to make double sure you are using enough weight for the sinker to stay on the bottom... That is a must in the Hawkesbury current....... The line will bloom out in the current pull but take no notice of the associated bend in the rods...... You just have to watch for bite activity within the constant rod bend to monitor the bait situation that's all........ Leave the rod alone and when a big jewfish hits your bait and manages to turn tight drag without breaking your line, you'll certainly know all about it..... Stay calm and contained within your shuddering body and just leave your rod in a solid rod holder and make a cup of green tea or something..... a good rod and reel with the appropriately rated braid line will do all the work for you....... Finish off your tea, wipe your forehead, roll a smoke even if you don't smoke but make sure you comply with the warning on the label, ditch the packet overboard, leave the paper stuck to yor lip and then simply gaff the jew while your holding the camera with your other hand.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Kelzurds

You have to make double sure you are using enough weight for the sinker to stay on the bottom... That is a must in the Hawkesbury current....... The line will bloom out in the current pull but take no notice of the associated bend in the rods...... You just have to watch for bite activity within the constant rod bend to monitor the bait situation that's all........ Leave the rod alone and when a big jewfish hits your bait and manages to turn tight drag without breaking your line, you'll certainly know all about it..... Stay calm and contained within your shuddering body and just leave your rod in a solid rod holder and make a cup of green tea or something..... a good rod and reel with the appropriately rated braid line will do all the work for you....... Finish off your tea, wipe your forehead, roll a smoke even if you don't smoke but make sure you comply with the warning on the label, ditch the packet overboard, leave the paper stuck to yor lip and then simply gaff the jew while your holding the camera with your other hand.

Cheers

:074::074::074: Jewgaffer, you're funny

Rgds Dhutchy

I fished under/around the 2 bridges last Thursday with one rod set up for Jewies with a massive calamari but not even a bite and now i hear there's alot of small jewies taking the bite!!! :mad3:

However, i finished with some nice bream and flatties (the report i yet to post)... :beersmile:

hahah jewgaffer, yea i usually do either hold my rod with 1 finger on the line or have a smoke

will try a bigger sinker next time

ritchie - i find calamari to be a poor bait at hawkesbury - me and my mates caught all our jewies on live tailor strip fillet baits

use calamari also - but never get anything

probably gona go hawkesbury this sunday... fingers cross! :)

Edited by kelzurd

hahah jewgaffer, yea i usually do either hold my rod with 1 finger on the line or have a smoke

will try a bigger sinker next time

ritchie - i find calamari to be a poor bait at hawkesbury - me and my mates caught all our jewies on live tailor strip fillet baits

use calamari also - but never get anything

probably gona go hawkesbury this sunday... fingers cross! :)

ummmm..makes sense...Jegaffer told me the arrowhead squids work good but too bad i couldnt find any on that day.. :(

..so the tailors are the flavour of the river eh?..damn we caught afew tailors but chuked 'em all back! :bump0ee:

.....will try a bigger sinker next time

Hi Kelzurd

Sorry for addressing you as Kelzurds..... by the questions asked it seemed there was more than one of you :D

Good luck with the big jewfish!.... it might pay to rig up an older Alvey with 40lb mono before you get into the heavier spinning reels and the braids :thumbup:

Cheers

lols

ever since about 2 or 3 weeks ago, wen i first went Hawkesbury River - I've always use like 10lb and under lines

I was at the road bridge 2 -3 weeks, and i had a half peel prawn dunk into the pylon - after it sank under - a BIG fish had my hook, it went under the boat and went straight - it took almost all my line and afterward, fish took everything with it, but i was manage to get my line back

ever since then, I'm intrigued to go back hawkesbury and catch the big fish - I'm not sure what the fish was, but i have a feeling it was a jewie ahah

this is why i got a shimano twinpower - hopefully i can catch the big fish :P

Hi Kelzurds

Cheers

top advice byron I love it!! very funny but also true!

Pete.