Bull Mullet

high_speed_metal

Went to this place I found looking for Bass and there a schools and schools of massive bull mullet... So I went back there today But could not get onto any of them.. I had Bread and floats and so on and done everything I would normally do with poddy mullet but nothing even with burly they would just cruse up and down... up and down... it was kinda strange as I thought Bull Mullet were an easy target like mullet..

How do you all target them.

I tried Float 2 hooks and float, No float, Burly, Sight Casting, argh everything.. I did get a few Gar but thats it.

Went to this place I found looking for Bass and there a schools and schools of massive bull mullet... So I went back there today But could not get onto any of them.. I had Bread and floats and so on and done everything I would normally do with poddy mullet but nothing even with burly they would just cruse up and down... up and down... it was kinda strange as I thought Bull Mullet were an easy target like mullet..

How do you all target them.

I tried Float 2 hooks and float, No float, Burly, Sight Casting, argh everything.. I did get a few Gar but thats it.

I have found that if the mullet are jumping you will rarely catch them!

try fishing on sand flats that are covered on the top of the tide in a bay or area where there is minimal tide movement. just a slow drift is what your looking for, if there are oyster leases nearby ,even better!

some bread soaked in a bucket of water with a good dollop of tuna oil is good burely but be careful not to over burley - about a table spoon flicked out every time you bait up or cast is plenty you want constant in small doses, a small hook 1-2 ft under a float with a piece of peeled prawn or bread will do the trick. fish the last hour of the top of the tide and the first hour or so of the run out for best results. sometimes they get in a strange mood and wont bite no matter what you do, maybe you encountered one of those days!

if your fishing freshwater the same technique should work around weed beds however dough or bread is probably the better bait. Many years ago I caught some big mullet in the mary river (freshwater) at gympie in qld on freshwater greenweed growing on the rocks, it was all they would bite on! maybe thats worth a try if they wont bite?

hope this helps.

pete.

did u find them in saltwater????

pretty hard 2 catch the sea mullet in salt water...

very rarely do they bite..

u might get lucky with 1 or 2 on a tiny bit of peeled prawn.. unweighted..

I agree they are almost impossible to hook in saltwater heard they just eat microscopic plankton and other thing but will occassionally eat a piece of prawn or bread only if the water current is really cold where there is less plankton and they are very hungry

Read this out off a book

Cheers A.dawg~~~

Sand mullet... Bull mullet.... Sea mullet haha I never thought of how many mullets there were...

To be honest I thought they were bull Mullet but maybe they are sea mullet... and they will not bite... Not sure how salt the water is... I know at this place the water must be close to fresh as the water running into it comes from the hills and not the sea....

Also something weird I seen was as the mullet would go past something would rise underneath them then go down out of site when they passed... It was very strange and happened about 4 times...

Pete.......... North Coast Taulkn Chaukn cheese might be the go :D

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

wtf???????????

sorry byron me no understand?? what,s that mean?

i have caught a few sea mullet in san souci on a private wharf floating some ¼ bits of peeled prawn scrubworm..

but definately not a common catch!

were they sand mullet or sea mullet???

not sure to be perfectly honest but i think they were sand mullet.

wtf???????????

sorry byron me no understand?? what,s that mean?

not sure to be perfectly honest but i think they were sand mullet.

Hi Pete re my comment.......... North Coast Taulkn Chaukn cheese might be the go :D

I thought you might have figured that little riddle out !! :1yikes: I wonder if anyone else did :-rolleyes - maybe North Coast Taulkn Chaukn Cheese is a tip about a good brand name :074:

I'm saying talking salt/freshwater mullet from the upper Hawkesbury and bull mullet, a mullet that need at least North Coast temperatures to be able to spawn in winter, is like talking chalk and cheese Peter........ While we are onto the cheese part of it, we catch them at Ballina on cheese although it is said that bullet mullet cleanse themselves on certain river planktons before they go back out to sea... They may go onto to a vegetarian diet as well, but I don't really know.... What I do know is they are the number one jew bait and have to be used live because of the bream..... even tho we use foot long live bait the bream still poke the eyes out and close up their snouts to cut off their breathing and then feed on the mullet's guts first...... We have to collect at least twenty, each one has to be over 30cm...... and we can't get them in the same way we get them over the border but we can get them on cheese if we burley up grated cheese in certain backwaters off North Lake at night,..... and our Ballina area members and members like Jewhunter will know what I am talkin about.

Hence without having any desire to correct anything and knowing that you have put in some terrific posts in the past, I gave you a little riddle like a jumble word sentence to work out plus a tip about cheese as a temptor for bull mullet.

So talking chalk and cheese might be the go when your'e a walkn talkn bull mullet :thumbup:

Do I get let off the hook now :lol: and still get that Hawkesbury invite Pete. :thumbup:

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

hey byron - I have no idea about the spawning habits and water temp etc where mullet are concerned as I have never delved to deep into all of that, but i do know that at this time of the year you can catch mullet at brooklyn , I am pretty sure the are of the yellow eyed variety with the occassional bully, as for foster - that was about 30 years ago so my memory isnt good enough to remember, but i think they were the same.

I have never caught mullet on cheese! but I have caught some good bream at times on cheese. My girlfriend once caught a mullet on cheese and bacon ball!!!!

As for the brooklyn trip you are welcome to come any time- as a matter of fact i am off hunting mullet this afternoon at penrith then hitting the water in the morning with fresh slabs, I have a good run out spot for flathead and jew, so although I know it will be busy tomorrow being australia day weekend and all , and I know its a bit short notice but if you are keen your welcome to join me.

If you dont have my number anymore give us a PM and i will send it to you.

pete.

Jewgaffer, what was it u said about the breams eating the eyes and closing the breathing holes??

I have never heard about it sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Simmo

Hi Simmo

Big bream take the eyes out of bull mullet and actually bite thru the mouth and nose area cutting off their breathing works and thereby killing the fish......

You often see yellowtail dead on the hook with the mouth missing....... This indicates that there are big bream to be had where you are fishing your live bait......

If your live bait comes back with a cut in the back of their neck, that indicates the presence of squid, if they are dead on the hook with their tail fin missing which exposes the spine and kills them quickly, that indicates the presence of tailor which disable bigger fish by coming in behind them and biting their tail off.

Cheers

Hi Simmo

Big bream take the eyes out of bull mullet and actually bite thru the mouth and nose area cutting off their breathing works and thereby killing the fish......

You often see yellowtail dead on the hook with the mouth missing....... This indicates that there are big bream to be had where you are fishing your live bait......

If your live bait comes back with a cut in the back of their neck, that indicates the presence of squid, if they are dead on the hook with their tail fin missing which exposes the spine and kills them quickly, that indicates the presence of tailor which disable bigger fish by coming in behind them and biting their tail off.

Cheers

:1yikes: Very interesting, thanks Jewgaffer

Cheers,

Simmo