Rapala Braid Concept Rod..any Good?

whi7eindustries

Lets hope so as i just bought one.....lol I'm going to use it for big Kings and Sailfish/small marlin, I'm loading a 6007 Tica Sportera with 50lb braid to match. Already set the drag to 15kgs, the rods a 10-20kgs7'6" jigging rod, my god its got some balls. Was just wondering if any Raiders have some experience with these, already seen a video of an 86kg Marlin caught on one, can't wait.

Cheers. T

Hi Tobinator ,

I haven't fished with the rapala braid rods or tica reels but as far as an Honest and fish stopping combo goes the saragosa 18000 f matched with the s 508 Jigwrex set at 18 kgs of drag is the ultimate kingfish combo / livebait combo on the market for value for money . . . I recently hooked an unstopable up the mid north coast recently and fought it for 15 mins with this setup only to have the trace wear thru in the last couple of metres of the fight . Probably call it a large shark by the way the trace was worn but who knows . I have had the pleasure of putting some mates on to good fish whislt using this setup and every single person has now decided it is time to invest in this setup . . . As for jigging of sydney the rod is a bit to stiff in my opinion unless jigging with 500 gram jigs is your game. I have not found a factory produced rod for under $ 300 that outpeforms it . If anyone knows of such a rod i would be very intrested in knowing about it .

Hope your New setup serves you well...

Heres some rod specs..

S508 5' 1 PE Max 8, 37kg 500 Fuji CMNST & Fuji Silicon

Cheers ..... Dogtooth :1fishing1: ... John.... :beersmile:

A mate of mine had his snap 3 times in the first 3 months ... though he did get it replaced for free each time .. but not once did they snap while fighting a fish ... pulling braided line through the guides did it twicen not sure about the 3rd ... not good for a braid rod.

They are pieces of sh*t.

Mate i wouldnt go that far, every rod can snap, my mate recently snapped a blue rose while fighting a Big king....

The Braid composites in there jigging range are rated from 10-20kg and 15-24 kg...2 rods that have a very wide range.....I would recommend ignoring the top rating and go by the bottom rating as it seems to be more accurate

Guest Big-Banana

I've had 3 go on me, on kings which we no bigger than 90-95. Like Oz's they all went close to the foregrip.

I hadn't snapped a rod before that, but I'll know better next time. No quality rod should snap, as long as your using it within it's range.

On a marlin hook up I had the other week, we were sunset on a Backbone, on a 80kg Stripe, if it didn't break then, it never will.

Jesus, I'm almost to scared to hook a fish on the bugger now, but as I've already bought it I'll just have to take my chances, its in a spread of Sabre 15-24kgs and Pacific composite 15-24kgs and Backbone Elite, so it runs the smallest lure, just hope nothing too big hits it, fingers crossed I might be lucky and have a strong one from the factory. Was it an early batch that was weak maybe???? really hope so.

If it does break I'm going all out and buying a Hots GT rod, I've actually been challenged to break one of these, gave it every ounce I had, its a strong rod.....

Cheers, Tobe

• 1 month later...

yeap ive recently broke my rapala 10-20kg braid concept =/

with my first few kingies i would it was all good until it broke on a metre king

kinda depressing got it replaced but now i want to exchange it =(

wouldn't mind the monster mesh

I was looking at the Braid Concepts but ended up going with a Daiwa Monster Mesh. Having heard the replies from other members, I'm even more pleased with my decision. I thought the Rapala's line rating was way overstated; should read more like 10-20lb in my opinion... When testing the 2 rods in the shop, I loaded both of them up, one after another, and my PE2-4 rated Monster Mesh absolutely killed the Braid Concept.

Incedently, I really haven't stretched it too much yet. I've spent summer so far catching rats, which still put a nice curve in the MM (with a bunch left in reserve), with the largest kingy going 78cm. Hopefully I'll attach to a sea-monster soon!

• 1 month later...

It snapped in two places, on a 4kg Kingy, piece of sh#t end ring snapped off then it broke just behind the fourth ring, I rang Rapala and asked if it was a common problem, knowing full well they've been snapping left right and centre, and they said NO as friggin if, and now they won't replace it....how f'd is that. Now I'm left with no bloody rod and a big space in my wallet, going to 1770 soon to, great!!!!!!

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your rod giving way, tough it is pretty ordinary on Rapala's side with not replacing the for you. You could possibly try going thorugh the shop your purchased the rod from orginally, maybe they might have a better relationship with Rapala to warrent some extra weight against your claim. Out of curriosity what sort of drag was running through the rod when it gave way?

Hope your try all avenues in having the rod replaced, if it is with in the warrenty period it should be replaced, espercially if it broke under normal fishing use.

Cheers,

SZ1

Edited by SZ1