Fuel Problem

CamB

I have a 2007 30HP CV Yamaha and lately have to prime the carby each time I stop. Primer bulb is firm when I stop. Drift for a while. Check the bulb and it is soft again. PRime and I'm right to go. If I don't prime the engine starts then stops seemly due to lack of fuel.

Don't have any fuel leaking. Wondering, does the fuel pump or carby have a non return that may be sticking open.

Cameron

I have a 2007 30HP CV Yamaha and lately have to prime the carby each time I stop. Primer bulb is firm when I stop. Drift for a while. Check the bulb and it is soft again. PRime and I'm right to go. If I don't prime the engine starts then stops seemly due to lack of fuel.

Don't have any fuel leaking. Wondering, does the fuel pump or carby have a non return that may be sticking open.

Cameron

Cameron Sounds like the valves in the primer bulb are sticking. This is not uncommon.

The bulb is not expensive to replace , generally less than $15.00

Geoff

Not sure how your fuel line is set up but if you keep the bulb vertical it sometimes helps the valve to seat. Often can be a little fuel wax or build up in them so if keeping it vertical doesn't help and it is one you can slip apart have a look or just buy a new one. Another common one is a air leak in your fuel line. Now I know you say there is no fuel coming out so bear with me on this. Where your fuel line comes from the bulb and also goes into teh motor it often gets flexed a lot or just hangs on it's own weight. It might not let fuel out but gravity and the weight of fuel with a stuffed bulb can let air in so if it has clamps at those points give them a slight tighten or trim off a couple of inches and reclamp carefully. It still indicates a bulb problem. It can also indicate a needle seat or float problem in the catby so I would suggest borrowing a mates fuel line if possible to prove it is the fuel bulb and clamp connections.

Last one if fuel line hangs from the motor sometimes the connectors don't seal airtight as the o-ring are average and can let air in but still not spew fuel out. Check your o-ring on connector for damage or connector for grit or a battle scar from being distorted as fuel line was troddin on. Etanol and other crap additives have been affecting some of the o-rings in fuel connectors and so does age and sunlight to a lesser extent.