Undersized Kingies-a Different Viewpoint?

adkel53

I can understand the gear limits (they are fairly generous anyway). They limit the ability to catch fish somewhat and so compliment other measures, and they can be checked by Fisheries Officers whether you are catching fish or not.

I doubt that more kingies are caught in nets than by line by the pros - kinghightide could you elaborate?

That is incorrect.

I can understand the gear limits (they are fairly generous anyway). They limit the ability to catch fish somewhat and so compliment other measures, and they can be checked by Fisheries Officers whether you are catching fish or not.

I doubt that more kingies are caught in nets than by line by the pros - kinghightide could you elaborate?

Don't listen to him, the majority of kings are definetly caught leadlining and drop lining, a low percentage is caught in nets as by-catch.

DAN

We need to fish for the future..... But at the same time we ARE fishing today.

I NEVER EVER take a fish smaller than the legal limit... and will NEVER allow anyone on my boat to take home a fish that is even 1cm smaller than the limit!!!!

Trust me, I hate it when I get a 29CM snapper (even worse a 63cm king) and it’s the best fish that’s come onboard so far…. But it goes back EVERY time.

However at the same time we are TOLD we cannot have more than 4 rods with more than 3 hooks on a rod per person (overkill for sure) but we have a bag limit for our catch anyway!!!!

Why can’t a person have as many rods as they like, but be strict with the law when it comes to bag limits...?

My main objection to the DPI in NSW is: As a crabber I can have 5 hats and 1 pot...... Why can’t I have 5 pots? Same amount of buoys in the water. Easier to manage.... Most pots are built locally and hats are always built in china!

I MUST follow the bag limit anyway (For myself and a mate that’s 40 blue swimmers.... more than I would ever want to take in one day)

Why create a rule that limits the gear you can use but have such large bag limits..... To me that’s just stupid..

For this reason I have sent a letter to the department of fisheries of NSW asking for an explanation of why these rules exist and what avenues recreational anglers have to object to these rules and make a conserved effort to make changes based on both the well being of the future of fishing in NSW and the anglers that fish today.

In QLD it’s illegal to take a female crab if it's under berry or not..... In NSW you CAN take a female crab if its under berry or not...... that’s just bloody stupid! They have bugger all meat in them and are much smaller than the males, it should be illegal to take them..... We throw ALL females back and only take males for obvious reasons....

By the way: 6cm is way too small for a blue swimmer crab…. 8cm+ should be the size limit. I see a 6cm crab at the fish markets and think……. You must be kidding, who in there right mind would buy such a small crab!!!!!

I can’t count the amount of times I have seen boat's fishing Botany Bay and NOT throw back under sized fish..... It makes me very angry … myself and my fishing partners are happy to pull-up to a boat and educate them in HOW to fish in Australia!

It's time that the department of fisheries in NSW fished for the NOW and for the FUTURE in a single policy.

It’s up to us the angler to police the water ways when we see something is not right AND make adjustments to the current legislation, because if we don’t……. we don’t stand a chance in 100 years time.

Remember if you see something that’s not right on the water and ignore it….. You are almost as bad as those that ignore the law.

I welcome you're feedback on this matter, perhaps the anglers of NSW should get together and speak as one to the DPI in regards to future legislation changes that benefit every one (do we already have such a voice?)…..

Dan.

What you are saying is spot on correct, though bare in mind you are not the Police nor Fisheries, so i would be very carefull with your approach to other boats. You also shouldnt advise people to take on your approach when you see undersized fish being caught. That is the job of the Police and Fisheries.

You see illegal activity report it to the authorities and dont take matters into your own hands, otherwise if you step on the wrong toe you can very well be reporting yourself into a hospital ward.

In my last few fishing trips to Botany Bay, I have seen numerous boats keeping illegal kings... i have called the authorities on all accounts and nothing was done... People seem oblivious to laws and regulations just because a fish looks big enough....

We were checked by the water police on one outing and informed him that a boat about 100m away was in close and landed and kept 3 under size kings and nothing he just drove past them....

There needs to be a stronger force out there policing this, i for one dont mind being asked to show my catch, actually it would be applaud it, at least the public perception may change in regards to this...

Just my 2cents!

JC

Most kings are caught on lines as opposed to nets......dont knopw where you would get the idea that netting is more often used for kings......

As to the commercial guys catching undersize kings...well so be it i say.....its there living and if its legal they can do what they like, Most of use here fish for fun, the commercial guys do it to put a roof over there head and to put food on the table......People should stop there complaining because it was too long ago kingy traps were legal and kingfish numbers were shiocking compared to today...remeber those days before we start to complain.

Most kings are caught on lines as opposed to nets......dont knopw where you would get the idea that netting is more often used for kings......

As to the commercial guys catching undersize kings...well so be it i say.....its there living and if its legal they can do what they like, Most of use here fish for fun, the commercial guys do it to put a roof over there head and to put food on the table......People should stop there complaining because it was too long ago kingy traps were legal and kingfish numbers were shiocking compared to today...remeber those days before we start to complain.

ok