Painful Sth Coast Trip

yartz

Spent a few days earlier in the week down past Ulladulla and had a serious thirst for some beach fishing. Got down and conditions looked pretty perfect with high tide in the early morning and evening.

Returned to a beach which has always produced good bags of bream and whiting and there was a pretty killer gutter that must have stretched for just under 100m along the beach. This photo isnt brilliant because its only taken at mid-tide so the gutter isnt quite in full swing but you can get the gist of it:

post-8798-1232768432_thumb.jpg

Anyway, probably around four or five 3-4 hour sessions along this gutter using pippis, beach worms and lures only got me about 4 barely legal whiting, a few flatties and a few small salmon. I did get busted off by what I think was probably a monster bream but nothing to show for that...

Still cant work out why such a good looking spot fished so poorly, but I'll be back for further investigation next week I reckon..!

Bad luck mate......

Hold your rod high and stick with it.

Try using a surface popper mate on a patternoster rig setup.

I have had some good results this way.

Have the popper on the top patternoster and use bait on the lower patternoster with a good surf sinker on the bottom.

Excellent rig for flatties and bream.

Twin 1

Bad luck mate......

Hold your rod high and stick with it.

Try using a surface popper mate on a patternoster rig setup.

I have had some good results this way.

Have the popper on the top patternoster and use bait on the lower patternoster with a good surf sinker on the bottom.

Excellent rig for flatties and bream.

Twin 1

Sounds interesting mate I might have to give that a crack.

What sort of popper do you generally use?

Yartz

Spent a few days earlier in the week down past Ulladulla and had a serious thirst for some beach fishing. Got down and conditions looked pretty perfect with high tide in the early morning and evening.

Returned to a beach which has always produced good bags of bream and whiting and there was a pretty killer gutter that must have stretched for just under 100m along the beach. This photo isnt brilliant because its only taken at mid-tide so the gutter isnt quite in full swing but you can get the gist of it:

post-8798-1232768432_thumb.jpg

Anyway, probably around four or five 3-4 hour sessions along this gutter using pippis, beach worms and lures only got me about 4 barely legal whiting, a few flatties and a few small salmon. I did get busted off by what I think was probably a monster bream but nothing to show for that...

Still cant work out why such a good looking spot fished so poorly, but I'll be back for further investigation next week I reckon..!

Been surfing up and down the coast lately. The water has become very cold with the strong n/e winds pushing the warm water off the surface and the cold water rising to the top(forgot what this is called). I reckon this turns the fish off the bite. The southerly winds have returnted and will bring back the warmer water and hopefully also the fish.

quaddy