First Timer Wanting To Catch Kingfish In Botany Bay

archilles2

Hey all,

The time has come for me to catch kingfish, i can't deny the temptation no more. I just don't know what rod, reel, line, rig i should be using and i can't find anything on the internet. Any help would really be appreciated :)

Last week i was fishing light for flatties, on the drift and i got spooled by something huge. I noticed afew boats around us where catching kingfish and boyy did that get my adrenalin going!

I can't stand lures and only want to fish livies. Appreciate your thoughts!

• 8 months later...

Hi Mate,

Catching kings is by far the most favoured thing here on FR, but first we need toknow what is your budget and you know with fishing gear can range anwhere from $50 - $1500 for just a reel. I am sure if you give us your budget the guys and girls on FR will be able to give you a better response.

Line wise - 20lb min to 50lb is about the norm, i always use 50lb braid on one out fit and 20 lb on the lgither flick sticks.

let us know how much yopu want to spend or what gear you currently have and the ppl here will be able to help you.

I use a jigging outfit and havn't been done yet on the kings.

Cheer,

SZ1

There is a wide variety of gear that will handle the average Botany kings so long as it is reasonably heavy (20 lb plus). However there are some seriously big kings in the bay at times (10kg plus), and you will need 50lb line to stand a chance. I find a lever drag overhead the best. When livebaiting you can add a tiny bit of drag to feespool to let them run and swallow the bait without getting an overun. Also it is easy to apply very heavy drag by pushing the lever up past strike. One with harness lugs is a good idea so you can attach a rod saver. You don't have to go to a full blown 50lb game reel. I use a Shimano Trynos 20 with 300m of 50 lb braid backing and 100+m of 50lb mono topshot. The rod is a 24kg Silstar shortstroker (5'6'').

Hey all,

The time has come for me to catch kingfish, i can't deny the temptation no more. I just don't know what rod, reel, line, rig i should be using and i can't find anything on the internet. Any help would really be appreciated :)

Last week i was fishing light for flatties, on the drift and i got spooled by something huge. I noticed afew boats around us where catching kingfish and boyy did that get my adrenalin going!

I can't stand lures and only want to fish livies. Appreciate your thoughts!

Hi Bud, Generally speaking, I would use a 6-10kg outfit for Kings inside the bay with say a penn slammer liveliner 560 or a 4500-6500 shimano baitrunner with about 30pd braid.

Would use about 60pd trace.

Use a double snell rig.

The majority of kings you will catch inside the bay will be rats, or up to the 5kg mark from past experiences. I rarely ever get ones bigger, so I dont fish much heavier than this so that I can enjoy catching the fish that bite the most.

Rod, reel, fins braid will probably set you back over the $300 mark, however half descent gear is important.

If you prefer overheads, try a Shimano TLD15 or 20.

Its just my opinion so no hard and fast rule. If you get bigger kings, this gear will struggle to do the job however and you would consider stuff like TLD25s with 50pd braid etc at the cheaper gear range.

• 2 weeks later...

Its just my opinion so no hard and fast rule. If you get bigger kings, this gear will struggle to do the job however and you would consider stuff like TLD25s with 50pd braid etc at the cheaper gear range.

Just out of interest, What rod would you match the TLD25 up with?

Just out of interest, What rod would you match the TLD25 up with?

I would go something like a Shimano Beastmaster around the 10-15 with a 25.

The Penn Spinfisher 950 is available in a combo with a reasonable glass spinning rod for under $200.00 delivered. For the money, I think you will find this unbeatable and you could comfortably run say 50lb braid on it. This would have the power to stop reasonable kings (unless they find something to bust you off on!)

I have more overheads than spinning reels but I think you will find that the spinning reel is more versatile (i.e you can cast it) and much easier to use if your not used to overheads. Birds nests are not much fun and everbody gets these when you first start using overheads.

i myself have two of these penn 950's with the penn spinfisher rods & find them very easy to use & very reliable for all sorts of fishing, i have 50lb on 1 & 80lb on the other & they have never let me down..& no bird nest mess

cheers john