Livewell Dramas!

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

Last time I had my boat out, I had fitted a temporary livewell which was plumbed to my existing bait pump. It worked great. Nearing the end of the day I noticed that it didnt seem to be pushing as much water as it normally would.

Today I thought I would check it out as I need to use the livewell again on Sunday. No matter what I tried I couldnt make the damn thing work! It would spin, but not suck any water up! Stripped it down and it all looked OK inside and there wasnt anything blocking the impellor! Got me stuffed.

I''ll have to go and get a new pump tomorrow morning and fit it! DAMN...And I was SSSSOOOO looking forward to cutting the grass and cleaning the yard!!! :rolleyes:

Guest Jocool

Don it was working fine...just seemed slow! I did notice that there was some scoring inside the impellor housing, so I think its not sealing properly and the impellor is just cavitating inside the housing! Oh well.....Will have to invest in a strainer this time to stop gunk going in there I think!

Guest Jocool

Fitted my new pump today. Couldn''t get the Attwood that was already in there, so I replaced it with a Rule 500GPH pump. They didnt have a strainer to put over the inlet, so I got some of my wifes nylons :-whip and put them over it! Cut up some squares to leave in the boat as spares!

Also changed the plumbing round, and fitted 2 taps on there so I can turn on/off the Livewell or the Bait tank! Tested OK at home...will see how it operates in the field tomorrow!B)

Guest bluecod

Jocool,

Typical problem with that brand you had fitted - about 1 in 4 will last. If the problem re-occurs I suggest you try another brand.

Guest Jocool

Do you mean its typical for the Attwood or the Rule? I had an Attwood and now have a Rule! I take it the Rule is better?

Guest Jocool

Just a bit of an update on my Livewell situation.

Originally I utilised a 120 lt storage tub, the type you get at discount shops, and added all the bits and pieces to that. I made a divider for it and have it sitting in the middle of the boat against the rear casting platform. I found that the plastic tub is brittle, and bows a lot when full of water. I fixed the divider in place and that helped the bowing situation.

I looked at changing this and using a "nally" bucket. The problem is that if I want it to drain overboard through the overflow it has to be 45 cm high to get over the casting platform! And the biggest available is only about 70 lt. Not enough for 2 anglers. The only other thing that was suitable was a big rotationally moulded box and it had a lid, but was going to cost over $200 :-mad2 and thats before I add all the plumbing!

Now, I have made a HUGE box out of 6 mill ply which has a fixed divider in the middle for 2 anglers, and fills to about 160 lt. I am in the process of glassing it all up to make it more suitable. Looks great so far, even if I do say so myself! :ohyeh: