Someone Good With Fiberglass Construction

aussie big bob

Hi Bob. What do you want to know and can you describe what you mean by insert?

Is it a divider or are you talking a liner ? If just a divider to keep squid from yaccas I would probably do a polly prop one.

For example we have done Divider before by just waxing , then gelcoating a piece of ply covered in plastic ( to get smooth fiinsh) , laying up a few sheets of cloth and then flowcoating that.. We have alos done a small bait holders for bait board by getting the right shaped tupperware container and rubbish bin from the $2 shop and trimming it and using it as a template / mould. They are good as they all come out of injection moulding eqiipment whose dies have avery slight taper so they slip out OK and have a great surface finish ( ie shiny gelcoat)

Basicaly you can use anything as a template as long as you can apply a release agent to it ( pva glue works so does wax)

Laying the glass up is not that hard a job and there is plenty of fibreglass shops that will do it for you pretty cheap if you supply them the mould and not too higher expectations. They have the gelcoat in a spraygun everyday and ease of measuring out resins and cloth on hand and rather tahn buying release agents and wax and having left over resins etc .

Photo of what you have got , what you want or want to copy and you'll probably get a few ideas from everyone.

Best one we have done was standard chain store kitchen rubbish bin made into seat pedestal with storage on a mates boat, strong , right height , some storage and small enough footprint on teh deck.

Pel

Edited by pelican

Hi Bob. What do you want to know and can you describe what you mean by insert?

Is it a divider or are you talking a liner ? If just a divider to keep squid from yaccas I would probably do a polly prop one.

For example we have done Divider before by just waxing , then gelcoating a piece of ply covered in plastic ( to get smooth fiinsh) , laying up a few sheets of cloth and then flowcoating that.. We have alos done a small bait holders for bait board by getting the right shaped tupperware container and rubbish bin from the $2 shop and trimming it and using it as a template / mould. They are good as they all come out of injection moulding eqiipment whose dies have avery slight taper so they slip out OK and have a great surface finish ( ie shiny gelcoat)

Basicaly you can use anything as a template as long as you can apply a release agent to it ( pva glue works so does wax)

Laying the glass up is not that hard a job and there is plenty of fibreglass shops that will do it for you pretty cheap if you supply them the mould and not too higher expectations. They have the gelcoat in a spraygun everyday and ease of measuring out resins and cloth on hand and rather tahn buying release agents and wax and having left over resins etc .

Photo of what you have got , what you want or want to copy and you'll probably get a few ideas from everyone.

Best one we have done was standard chain store kitchen rubbish bin made into seat pedestal with storage on a mates boat, strong , right height , some storage and small enough footprint on teh deck.

Pel

Pel

In the floor of the barcrusher is a large kill tank.The problem with this tank is that ice does not last more than half a day. This is due to two reason one being the friction ( heat ) caused by the boat pushing through the water and 2 is when you are at rest the crusher fill's with water which is also the bottom of the tank so if the water temp is 20 plus the ice melts quickly. This makes the kill tank a total wast of time. So my idea is to make a fiberglass lining to help insulate the ice slurry from the external temps.

Cheers

bob

P/s will be happy to post pic if you need them

Pel

In the floor of the barcrusher is a large kill tank.The problem with this tank is that ice does not last more than half a day. This is due to two reason one being the friction ( heat ) caused by the boat pushing through the water and 2 is when you are at rest the crusher fill's with water which is also the bottom of the tank so if the water temp is 20 plus the ice melts quickly. This makes the kill tank a total wast of time. So my idea is to make a fiberglass lining to help insulate the ice slurry from the external temps.

Cheers

bob

P/s will be happy to post pic if you need them

Bob From what you have described , I don't think fibre glass by it's self will fix your problem. Unless it is affixed to something like timber ( 3 ply) F/G is quite thin & perhaps not the greatest insulation material in the world.

Ideally you need some sort of medium between the tank walls & the ice

Have you considered poly styrene covered with thin plastic or 3ply to protect the styrene

As Pel mentioned some pic's of the tank would be of assistance

Geoff

It's a problem with a lot of so called kill tanks and I see why the manufacturers don't fix it as to insulate it you will lose a lot of the volume like 20mm on each side top and bottom and even the best quality foam will only get you a day from ice in that situation.

The only thought I have is a esky - sort of insulting when you bought a boat with a kill tank = nah not really but up north they have given up on small kill boxes in the floor for the reasons you mention as with water temp and no air seal ice just melts.

You could use a slight air gap as insulation for the liner if you didn't want to lose so much capacity and it would be simpler to construct or the simplest method if you can find a suitable poly tray or if you are happy with a couple of 70cm long ones ( see nally containers) Beer in one fish in the other.

The last option is to makkeit out of pollypropelene sheet. It can be stainless screwed together and worked like wood with a router etc and is food grade. If you wanted to go all out you could plastic weld the seams.

Throw up a photo and dimentions and I reckon someone here will be able to see butchers tray or 2 that will fit OK and make the ice last longer.

It is tempting to insulate and glass straight into the kill tank but if you are anything like me I like to be able to see all structural parts of boats so i like the liner Idea especially so you can just lift it out to go to the cleaning tables and also to clean the tank out.

Pel

Edited by pelican

It is tempting to insulate and glass straight into the kill tank but if you are anything like me I like to be able to see all structural parts of boats so i like the liner Idea especially so you can just lift it out to go to the cleaning tables and also to clean the tank out.

Pel

Pel

I'm the same . I will take photos and get dementions asap I do have a few ideas but need someone with the know how.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Had a think about the size. Not sure how often you really need the full length and there is a fair few esky boxes that already fit in that size compartment and have lids that seal well

The cheapest option would be a broccoli foam box from the markets / grocers and see how well the ice lasts . Cheap - like free and lasts Ok and replace if it gets smelly.

There are plenty of the polystyrene foam boxes used by weight loss companies and food distributers in various sizes.

That way you can have your second smaller esky in there for food and drinks not smelling of fish.

The reason I am avoiding suggesting a home made fibregass one is that to get a good gelcoat finish wilth inbuilt insulation you need to do a male and female mould and that is time consuming and can get expensive. If you made it and did it properly I'd pull 20 out of the moulds as every barcrusher owner will want one so they have ice that lasts in a sealed esky and contaminents on the deck of the boat won't taint the fish hold.. Still a stupid design followed by so many boat builders where deck drains into the fishbox and so simple to fix in manufacture with a drain channel around the hatch and also does that drain into the bilge with all the fish scales etc?? Depends how good you want it to look and your budget. Not that hard to knock up one and then flocoat it and it will look commercial like the inside of a old FG hull but ---how pretty do you want it?

Does the factory have an option or is there a barcrusher forum or owners club with other peoples solutions?

A simple cut down fish box or council container will make a pretty big difference to ice usage as the plastic and air around it is a bad conductor of heat so with ice not touching the ally which is a very good conductor it will melt slower.

Doesn't solve the heat radiated down from the lid ( deck floor) as I assume the extra ally is just re-enforcing not insulation in the lid?

Pel

PS Have sent you a PM showing all the detail method , time , materials and work that goes into do a FG one

Edited by pelican

Had a think about the size. Not sure how often you really need the full length and there is a fair few esky boxes that already fit in that size compartment and have lids that seal well

The cheapest option would be a broccoli foam box from the markets / grocers and see how well the ice lasts . Cheap - like free and lasts Ok and replace if it gets smelly.

There are plenty of the polystyrene foam boxes used by weight loss companies and food distributers in various sizes.

That way you can have your second smaller esky in there for food and drinks not smelling of fish.

The reason I am avoiding suggesting a home made fibregass one is that to get a good gelcoat finish wilth inbuilt insulation you need to do a male and female mould and that is time consuming and can get expensive. If you made it and did it properly I'd pull 20 out of the moulds as every barcrusher owner will want one so they have ice that lasts in a sealed esky and contaminents on the deck of the boat won't taint the fish hold.. Still a stupid design followed by so many boat builders where deck drains into the fishbox and so simple to fix in manufacture with a drain channel around the hatch and also does that drain into the bilge with all the fish scales etc?? Depends how good you want it to look and your budget. Not that hard to knock up one and then flocoat it and it will look commercial like the inside of a old FG hull but ---how pretty do you want it?

Does the factory have an option or is there a barcrusher forum or owners club with other peoples solutions?

A simple cut down fish box or council container will make a pretty big difference to ice usage as the plastic and air around it is a bad conductor of heat so with ice not touching the ally which is a very good conductor it will melt slower.

Doesn't solve the heat radiated down from the lid ( deck floor) as I assume the extra ally is just re-enforcing not insulation in the lid?

Pel

PS Have sent you a PM showing all the detail method , time , materials and work that goes into do a FG one

Pel

Thanks for that and i have got your pm so will look at it tonight and let you know which way i will go.

cheers

bob

Gday Bob,

Here is another idea for you to think about.

Have a looka the products at this web site

http://www.multipanel.com.au/index.html

They have a marine fridge panel that would do the trick in insulating the kill tank and it is high density and so you would only loose a limited amout of wall and floor thickness. The panels are glued into place with their special glue.

You would then need to line to outside of the panel.

Instread if using fibreglass I would think about using one of the water based rubber compounds that are used in the building industry to tank pond or pools with. Easyier to use than fibreglass.

I have recently used other products from this company on a building project that I did last year.

I got the link to this comapny off this site about 12 months ago.

If you would like any further details give a call 0423320825 or PM me

Cheers

Balmain Bob

Gday Bob,

Here is another idea for you to think about.

Have a looka the products at this web site

http://www.multipanel.com.au/index.html

They have a marine fridge panel that would do the trick in insulating the kill tank and it is high density and so you would only loose a limited amout of wall and floor thickness. The panels are glued into place with their special glue.

You would then need to line to outside of the panel.

Instread if using fibreglass I would think about using one of the water based rubber compounds that are used in the building industry to tank pond or pools with. Easyier to use than fibreglass.

I have recently used other products from this company on a building project that I did last year.

I got the link to this comapny off this site about 12 months ago.

If you would like any further details give a call 0423320825 or PM me

Cheers

Balmain Bob

Bob

I will be ringing the company tomorrow as i think this is way to go.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by aussie big bob