Harbour 27/1/09

Josh88

Well this being my last day of school holidays i thought nothing is going to stop me going out for one last fish. Got to Roseville around 530 to see only 1 other boat was out in the darkness and rain.

Had arranged to meet my step grandad and my uncles dad who's over from england at the spit. Picked them up and went for a squid, first spot the usual nothing so moved on and couldn't believe it when we pulled in 3 in short time, went over to one more spot and got another 2, thought well that should do us for now so we headed up towards the bridge looking for any signs of fish on the surface, didnt see much so puts some baits down at the western wed. cake, put down a live squid and a strip, live squid has been ripped off without me realising :mad3: i think it was a big tailor as some of it was left on the hook, but serves me right for not using a 2 hook rig. Lost the strip as well with the reel on free spool ratchet on and i didn't hear it once, this happened a lot.

Anyway it was raining the whole time, we saw some birds a few hundred metres away going nuts so up anchor and headed over that way, tons of birds, tons of bait, no fish chasing the bait. It was one of the strangest things i've ever seen, these tiny fish that looked to be yakkas were feeding on something even smaller much the same way they get fed upon by pelagics. I just couldn't believe this didn't attract any bigger fish :wacko:

Went for a look further up the harbour but nothing doing so back to the cake and we kept on losing baits to pickers but i'm sure i felt some kingfish bites although they would of only been small fish.

Made a move to clifton and stayed there for 20min but the older guys were getting a bit cold and wanted to head back in but i guess as a consolation prize for our efforts in an open boat in the rain kings popped up on the surface just next to us right as we were leaving so threw a cast in with a new hollowbelly, saw the king race up behind it and take it, hooked up and gave it to Jack to fight, only a rat but his first and probably pulls harder than anything in england.

Would of liked the weather to be clearer and more fish about but thats just fishing i guess.

Cheers

Josh

I was out there with you, if only for a little while.

Waking up early to see the drizzle wasnt fun and the fishing never really picked up.

I tried a few spots around goat island, bradleys head, chowder bay, mosman bay and shark island and got nothing significant to show for it.

I was on the lookout for surface action but saw nothing, visibility was fairly low.

I was back in bed before 11 :P

Maybe ill try again tomorrow!

I was out there with you, if only for a little while.

Waking up early to see the drizzle wasnt fun and the fishing never really picked up.

I tried a few spots around goat island, bradleys head, chowder bay, mosman bay and shark island and got nothing significant to show for it.

I was on the lookout for surface action but saw nothing, visibility was fairly low.

I was back in bed before 11 :P

Maybe ill try again tomorrow!

I think after all the traffic on the harbour yesterday and then bad conditions with rain and the southeasterly today that kept the fish down. Over the next few days though when the weather clears up i'd expect them to be going a bit crazy to make up for the last couple of days. Too bad i'll be at school, although school does look onto the harbour which probably makes it worse

I think after all the traffic on the harbour yesterday and then bad conditions with rain and the southeasterly today that kept the fish down. Over the next few days though when the weather clears up i'd expect them to be going a bit crazy to make up for the last couple of days. Too bad i'll be at school, although school does look onto the harbour which probably makes it worse

hmm youve convinced me to go out again tomorrow. The weather and wind reports look a lot more promising, heres hoping i find some hungry fish tomorrow!