Berrara/sussex Inlet

dino76

g'day guys and girls,

i need some advice from those who have or are currently fishing Berrara/Sussex Inlet.

i will be heading down next friday (06/02) with a couple of friends, a boat (4.5 m quiny) and my fishing gear.

i would like to know what i should be looking to catch, where is a good place to launch and are there any water hazards we need to be aware of in and around Berrara/Sussex Inlet?

and last but not least; is anyone willing to share any 'hot spots'? i understand any reluctance to share this info, but hey, if you dont ask, you wont know!

dino

g'day guys and girls,

i need some advice from those who have or are currently fishing Berrara/Sussex Inlet.

i will be heading down next friday (06/02) with a couple of friends, a boat (4.5 m quiny) and my fishing gear.

i would like to know what i should be looking to catch, where is a good place to launch and are there any water hazards we need to be aware of in and around Berrara/Sussex Inlet?

and last but not least; is anyone willing to share any 'hot spots'? i understand any reluctance to share this info, but hey, if you dont ask, you wont know!

dino

Never been there, but a mate just spent a week there and said they caught a heap of fish. The rough tally was 25 x Salmon, 1 x 8kg Black Drummer (on 8lb line), over a dozen Calamari, a few Snapper, a couple of dozen Whiting from the beach and inside the estuary, a few flathead, prawns from the inlet and a mud crab.

They were staying at http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sou...mp;t=h&z=13 so you can probably work out where they launched from etc. He did mention that this place had the facility to leave the boat moored out the front for the entire trip.

An interesting part of this trip was that they actually 'caught' a fishing rod. When this rod was retrieved, they wound it in and there was a Salmon attached to the end of the line. I can only guess that the Salmon took the line, the rod was unattended and not secure and this poor Salmon has been tethered to the line ever since for who knows how long.

On another note, I'm reasonably new to fishing....I am curious as to why there is so much secrecy on "hot spots"? Are there not enough fish to go around? Is it something else? I thought the idea was to share information in this forum?

Cheers

-Brendan

Brendan,

hey buddy and thank you for your input. i will be taking down my ugly stick (6-9kgs) so i think that this should cover this range of fish rather nicely.

re hotspots... i too am relatively new to the sport and up until recently i have had a lot of difficulty catching decent fish and a lot of this is due to knowing the right WHEN and WHERE.

from what i have seen, hot spots are closely gaurded secrets because they can be exploited and attract many of idiots; those who have little or no regard for others, out on the water. it is better to have a spot and fish in peace, rather than sharing it with some :ranting2: who catches undersized fish :1badmood: , throws their rubish over board :thumbdown: , drives over your line :mad3: , or is just doing something to annoy and ruin your perfectly good fishing trip :( .

finally, it is also a sport... you want to catch the big one. you dont want to be going around, giving away your spots only to find that you have also given away that big one that you were after...

i hope this helps you to understand why some hang onto these secrets to their death beds.

dino

• 2 weeks later...

I know the area pretty well down there and have caught a sh1t load of flattys over the years out of the basin. My spot/s is just outside the last markers where the inlet meets the basin (as mentioned in a previous post) and turn left or right. Try drifting all around both sides till you find the fish.

Good luck, you should definatley get a good feed of flattys from there.

If you fish in the channel just before it goes into the basin, anchor up along the weed beds at the edge of the channel and burley with bread and use bread under a float you will catch mullet, bream, blackfish and even the odd flathead!!!! trust me it works well there, i know some guys who do it on a fairly regular basis and the told me that they do very well every time. I would love to know how you go because i have been wanting to try it myself as i have relo's that live at erowal bay on the other side of the basin but I just havent been able to get there to try. If you give it a go and get some PM me and let me know. good luck.

Pete.

'tide'n'knots', LittleNoah & spin,

thank you all for your input. i will be on the flats tomorrow afternoon/evening and then on a boat on saturday.

thanks for the tips and i will let you guy know how we go.

i'm sooo pumped! i'm friggin over work :1badmood: and cannot wait to wet my line!

gone :1fishing1:

dino

Where the inlet/estry meets St georges basin just between the markers is a hot spot , I have found at the turn of tides for flathead and bream... Burley is a must :1fishing1:

definately a turn of the tide spot. often referred to as the goal posts. try anywhere near weed beds and big drop offs with plastics as in my experience they out fish bait 10 - 1 and the quality of fish is much better and bigger.

good luck mate.

All,

“spin” (in this discussion thread) and I had a great weekend! We got down to Sussex Inlet on Friday arvo and fished the ocean side of the inlet w/ pillies. There were very few bites; with the exception of the toadies! :1badmood:

Then at around 8pm, & within minutes of each other, “spin” hooked a nice big travelly and almost as soon has he bucketed his, I landed my first big taylor; a 50-53cm greenback! :thumbup:

Because of the late hour, we needed to head back to our holiday home where our wives and “spin’s” kids, were waiting for their, albeit late, dinner.

The following morning, “spin”, Dave, who arrived late on Friday night, and I tried the same spot again, the ocean side of the inlet, the following, morning; from 9AM-12PM, however, only Dave came away successful, pulling in 2 flatties.

The three of us then spent the late afternoon through to about 8PM on the inlet; fishing the “the goal posts” with a bit of success; pulling in approx 6 flatties & my second Taylor for the weekend, a big fat 55cm greenback! :yahoo:

I must say, the flatties tasted sooo good in beer batter and with a side of chippies!

We headed out again on Sunday afternoon; from about midday to about 3PM, but the conditions were difficult; high winds and very choppy water. In the end, “spin” landed only two flatties within the last half hour.

So this is what I have taken from this weekend fishing at Sussex inlet & St George’s basin:

1. You must fish the tides,

2. Don’t bother fishing the ocean side of the inlet during the day; attested by locals/regular holiday makers, they (and us) only caught our fish during dawn or dusk, and finally,

3. If you use soft plastics, for flatties, I would recommend 3 inch “Evil Minnow’s” on 1/4 (7grams?) jig heads.

Thank you “spin” and Dave for a great weekend…

PS – Dave thanks for the tips, I always learn new or improve my technique when :1fishing1: I with you!