Kingies At Sow And Pigs

Chappo

Fished Sow and Pigs in Sydney Harbour last Friday with my old boss on the "S.S. Bingo" and had a day to remember. We arrived early morning just prior to top of a very small running tide. Started burlying and it wasn't long before rat kingies appeared in the burley trail amongst the yakkas. We floated unweighted peeled prawns and pilchard cubes on our 2 and 3 kilo bream outfits into the trail. This method resulted in 14 consecutive bust ups between us with some of the hookups lasting several minutes. The rods kept going off one after the other for an hour and half of great fun. During this time we also scored a feed of keeper bream, trevally and a leather jacket.

Bingo wanted a kingy in the boat to photograph and send to his mate, so we decided to to use the heavier gear and put two 20 pound outfits with peeled prawns and pilchard cubes. The Kingies wouldn't touch these rigs. Still no Kingies in the boat!

As a result, we went to some nearby kelp beds and I scored 8 squid, one after the other with one blowing all over Bingo's face! Where's a camera when you need one! This is was easily my most successful squid catching mission ever! In fact I tried the exact same spot two days earlier with another mate and only managed 3 squid in an hour and half (using the same jigs).

Back we went to Sow and Pigs and put out the live squid on the heavier outfits. Also anchored a little further away from the reef and burlied hard as the tide ran out. The first six squid were each quickly nailed, resulting in 6 kingies into the boat and a great double hook up. All about 57 to 60cm and returned as undersized. Last two squid left soaking as we cleaned up the boat and headed home.

All in all another great day on the harbour which is alive with fish at the moment.

Chappo

post-1767-1233052537_thumb.jpg

Chook pellets mixed with a few finely chopped up pilchards, a few slices of bread and a little tuna oil. (Not too much). Just keep shaking the burley bucket every few minutes if the trail has stopped. Also chop up some extra pilchard pieses and throw a piece into the trail every minute or so. Sounds like a bit or work but its worth it. You need to keep the fish at the back o the boat. Good luck. Let me know how you go!

Chappo

You can't fish you come on!!!!

H

Hello Hutch,

It was certainly fishing 100 times better than the day we saw you out there!

Chappo

I think I might have been Bingo's mate that wanted the photo "Chopper".

I think he's still cleaning his boat. By the time we finished, it was covered in fish guts, squid ink and burley!

Chappo