Motor Wouldnt Start

Kiwi Dan

Hello raiders,

I went out on for a session Friday afternoon/Night. Everything was going along like normal but at about 10pm my motor wouldnt start for some reason. There was plenty of fuel, the battery was fully charged and it was turning over but it wouldnt start. Everytime I turned it over a lot of black smoke would come out and a couple times it would run for a couple of seconds, cough and splutter a bit and then cut out.

So I drifted back from the Spit and tied off to a mooring, I thought I may have flooded it or something. I left it for a about 20 minutes then tried again, it ran for about 30 seconds and then conked out again. I lifted the lid and changed a spark plug, I didnt think this was the issue though because it was still turning over like normal.

I then continued squidding for an hour and tried it again. I tried starting it about 5 times and a whole lot of black smoke kept coming out then after about the 6th go it coughed and spluttered and then start running. I let it run for about 3 minutes and turned it off. I fired it up again and she started again coughed and spluttered and then seemed fine. I shut it off one more time and then turned it over and it started straight away with no issues no stuttering so I untied and headed back to the Spit. It was about 2am now but from then on I never had another issue all day until I got out at 2pm.

SO I was trying to figure out what went wrong. Once I got home I realized I used 2 different brands of 2 stroke oil in my mix by accident and what was left of 1 of the containers was probably 6 months since it was last used. Do you think this was the issue? Maybe old dirty oil?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Dan

Black smoke is indicative of too much fuel. Can be because of too much oil or the choke mechanism not turning off as well. Constantly priming if the needle and seat in the carby is not good will also flood teh motor

Was the plug wet and black wth carbon when you pulled it out?

All oils in theory should mix if they comply with TCW regs but is not good practise to do so.

Stuff the motor story - did you get some squid??

What did a new prop cost ya and was it all OK in the end?

Edited by pelican

Hi Dan

Black smoke is indicative of too much fuel. Can be because of too much oil or the choke mechanism not turning off as well. Constantly priming if the needle and seat in the carby is not good will also flood teh motor

Was the plug wet and black wth carbon when you pulled it out?

All oils in theory should mix if they comply with TCW regs but is not good practise to do so.

Stuff the motor story - did you get some squid??

What did a new prop cost ya and was it all OK in the end?

Yeah mate,

Ended up getting a few squid at the spit and more out at Nth Head. Even brought some home for a change. The prop and hub ended up costing 205 in total and the bolt was another 30, it works well now though.

So do you think with the motor not starting it was because of too much fuel?

Yeah possibly see how it goes next time and see if you can work out ant more symptoms to narrow it down a little. Isn't something as simple as the choke linkage coming off or such? The kill switch getting old and b99ggered? Bound to be something stupid rather tahn serious I would think. Well hoeing it is at leastp

Edited by pelican