Saltwater Flying

Jamiel1000

Interested in opinions on best set up for flat fishing.

I have fished these flats (mud and sand) near home for years now and have caught plenty of whiting bream and flatheads on SP's and HB's.

I can't get anything on fly.

I must have one of every type of fly in my kit but have no confidence in them.

The only luck I have had was from using SP's sandworms on a small hook used on the 8 # but this was not that satisfying.

Mostly these flats are about ankle to 5 feet deep and I have caught flaties up to 80cm and breams average around 30 cm in size.

I have a 5# Loomis and a 8# Reddington both with WF floating lines and long leaders.

I can cast pretty well.

I think it's a confidence thing

any tips on fly choice, line setup leaders

HI yes dear, good flies for the flatties are weighted clousers , polar fibre minnows and the like, basically any thing that is going to run along the bottom and kick up a bit of sand. Keep leaders around 9ft long and a breaking strain of 10lb or so, 10lb is plenty for the flatties and shouldnt deter the bream and whiting. good luck troutboy

• 2 weeks later...

I caught flathead on the clouser but from the boat,anyway it is one of the best saltwater fly.Because I dont have the boat, on this moment I also looking for some flats to try.I am thinking of camping in Bundeena, and have some fishing in the early morning, when the fish comes in the shallows.Also I thinking of Hen and Chicken bay to try one early morning someday.I lost my full box of saltwater flies during my one fishing,so I have to buy some (because my all tying stuff I left in overseas) ,though I prefer to fish on flies tied by myself.Yes Dear, floating line for flats of 5 feet depth i think is alright but if you would like to cast the fly into some deeper place or the water has waves on the surface,the better option would be the flyline with intermediate sinking tip.For example RIO Saltwater Tropical F/I is the good one.

Gid

Edited by Gid

You are flats fishing for southern species. Rip out your Bass poppers and give em a crack. Flatties, Bream and Whiting will all take a surface lure :biggrin2: (and what a buzz that is)

Try a few Dahlberg’s and Foam poppers. In order to get the tippet to turn over with the larger flies, stick with 10 - 12lb monno and shorten it to around 5ft (no need for a taper).

some of this covered by other posts, but orange/yellow or pink/yellow clousers with small dumbell eyes (get the painted ones in yellow orange or red with black pupils) - #4 hook for bream/whiting, maybe up to 1/0 or 2/0 for flathead. Basically the fly is meant to imitate a yabby (largely redundant now due to soft plastic yabbies, instructional dvds and "BS" factor)

Also maybe #6 size crazy charlie or similar (baited breath etc) chartruese for clear water, dark green for dirty water

The #5wt will be ample - with about a rod length of 8 - 10lb flourocarbon (i use siglon) and intermediate sink or sink tip line - just lets you work deeper dropoffs and not as wind affected on surface

hope that helps - goodluck!!!