Botany Bay Big Kings

dogtooth

Hi Everyone ,

Fished good old botany bay to see if the Kingfish were still around as it had been our first attempt at them this year . Things started pretty well with enough live bait in 30 minutes so we headed over to our favourite kingfish ground and had a few passes with the livies all was quiet on the sounder and the same could be said at the rod and reel end so after 15 mins fishing for kingfish the idea was ditched .

As we had a block of pilchards on board we decided to hit the flathead grounds off kurnell as we have done well in the past . After 2 hours and 4 sargent bakers and 0 flathead it was looking pretty bare in the esky . whislt on our travels we had a quick look at the Drums that are anchoring the desal plant drilling rig and they are plagued with rat kings so if you enjoy releasing undersize fish this is your spot. With enough undersize king captures we headed back inside the bay to hopefully turn our livebaits into kings . As we headed back we were hit by a strong Noreast wind and most boats left so we had a quick look at the famous point .

Bait was showing on the sounder and some good fish could be seen so in went the livie that was swallowed in seconds by a rat king , he was deep hooked so we held him over the side and cut the line , as we did this an older guy said arn't they good to eat . I replied yes but they are undersize. Things looked promising so we put another bait down and after a few rod taps the rod buckled and it felt like a legal fish and a 78 cm fish soon swum into the net :yahoo: .This fish had my hook plus 2 other hooks on different line , just goes to show that he smashed up 2 other anglers. Now it was my mate fish who was on strike , deployed another live bait and with a finicky take that just pulled the line from the clip the rod buckled and this fish felt better , Now the hard part started i quickly had to drive past 1 marker between 2 boats to avoid anchor ropes and at the same time watch for tugs . But in the end the result was good and a 94 cm was swum into the net :yahoo: . So with fish catching his biggest fish for 2009 it looks like a good start for him.

We managed to pull the hooks on another good fish that felt similar size after about 3 mins into the fight . I also feel that the kingfish are mouthing the baits at the moment as we had a few baits mouthed but not taken and all the takes were very subtle.

The end of the runway is also holding Tailor on small metals....

78 CM KING

post-692-1233293426_thumb.jpg

FISH with 94 CM

post-692-1233293437_thumb.jpg

THE CATCH

post-692-1233293456_thumb.jpg

PIC WITH TWO HOOKS

post-692-1233293474_thumb.jpg

Cheers...... Dogtooth :1fishing1: John...... :beersmile:

Edited by dogtooth

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Often what happens to fish after all of the reported 'bust offs'. You reckon they just carry on in general and it doesn't bother them? I have heard a few people catch skinny fish with hooks retarding the mouth / throat, but not many.

Spanker

Nice Day out

In an episode off adventure bound the guy caught a kingie and because it swallowed the hook he cut the line and said the hook will rust out in about 2-4 weeks... That kingies is one greedy fella

A.dawg~~~