Help With Electrics - Please

DarkHorse

G'Day Crew,

Me Again with yet another problem :1badmood:

Went out very early this morning from the Sylvania boat ramp. Had the Navigation lights on and fish finder/sounder, all was going well. Mate plugged in his spot light into my cigarette/power adaptor plug and whammo the navigation lights went out and the fishfinder turned off!

Engine still running, no alarms or problems with starting engine afterwards.

Checked 3 fuses which I think are the only ones.

1. InLine fuse for lowrance sounder - OK (3 amp)

2. Inline fuse for lights - OK (10 amp)

3. InLine fuse from negative terminal on battery - OK (long skinny type)

That is they are not "broken".

Any idea's please? Still NO sounder or lights???????

Was hoping to try and sort out today to use tomorrow....................

If you seen a boat near the bridge and slowly heading back to the ramp in Sylvania are were thinking D***Head, no nav lights well that was me and that's why :thumbdown:

Got me stumped.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

Replace all 3 fuses , as sometimes the break in the fuse wire is invisible to the naked eye ( I am assuming they are of the glass barrell type) .

Also there should be a fuse on the positive side , maybe not in an obvious place. Check the connections to the battery . If it has been wired properly , there should be a fuse at the front for the main bus ( where all the power connections are made , typically a fuse block).

Ross

G'Day Flight Manager,

Thanks for your reply. SORRY I meant the POSITIVE terminal :1prop:

May have found the problem, seems that the CHEAP inline fuse holder for the glass fuse allowed the plastic to melt over the brass terminal inside instead of blowing the fuse, will replace and report back.

By the way, your user name how did you go about selecting it, I assume you are in aviation????

Regards,

Rob

DarkHorse you have to take into account aswell how much amperage your wiring can take. You might fix the fuse holder but if the wire is not capable enough to higher amperage you will have thesame problem in the future. Another way to make sure it doesnt blow up again later on, possibly you can hook up fused wiring to a small anderson plug directly from the battery and basically change the other end of the spot light wiring cig. lightermale plug to the other anderson plug and plug or unplug when you need it instead pf changing the whole wiring of the boat.

Looking at the small wires that were attached with my cig lighter , I suspect the current drain from your mates spotty was too great for the wiring.

If you dont want to go the plug route , you can get female adapters with allligator clips ( heavy duty) on the end. Plug the spotty directly into this , and connect straight to the battery. This is the system I use on my boat .

Ross

Thanks FlightManager and WANNAFISH!

It was the cheap inline fuse holder which had melted preventing the current flow. Purchased a more heavy duty model with extra 10amp fuses for backup.

FlightManager as you said the wiring is very thin for the plug adaptor, really it was only meant to charge my mobile phone etc. not a massive hand held spotlight............

Just glad it did not do any damage to the other wiring or components.

All is good now, had me stumped though looking at each fuse and seeing that they were ok. Live and learn.

FlightManager have sent you a PM.

Regards,

Rob