Importance Of Retrieve Ratios

WillN

Hi all,

i'm looking at getting a new reel which I will be using for spinning metals, how important is it to have a high retrieve ratio and will it make a difference in the number of fish i catch?

I've heard that a you should rip a lure back as fast as possible, but does it really make that much of a difference?

cheers,

Will

It can sometimes make a HUUUGE difference. Spinning metals for tuna, bonnies, kings, mackerel and other pelagics often relies on speed to elicit a strike. Too slow and you'll have fish ignore your lure or simply follow it. There are other occasions where speed isn't an issue at all.... a 'dead sticked' plastic thrown into a school of fish will sometimes take fish when fast retrieves wont. Just remember, if you have a fast reel you can always wind slower... not always easy to get speed out of a slow reel.

There are 2 things you need to look at for a high speed reel though... retrieve ratio of course...

But you also need to think about spool diameter. A large diameter reel will recover more line in one revolution than a small diameter spool.

What you really want to know about a reel for high speed spinning is the line recovery rate which is how much line is recovered for each turn of the handle... a combination of retrieve ratio and spool diameter.

When you're looking at reels you'll notice that on average Shimano reels have a higher retrieve ratio but Daiwa reels tend to have larger spool diameters. Makes choosing tricky so give someone like Pete at Go Fish a call for advice or put up a post for specific info before you buy one.

Cheers, Slinky

thanks for the comprehensive reply slinky!

i'm looking at getting 1 of the following reels:

Daiwa Exceler Plus 3000; 4.7:1

Shimano Stradic FI 4000: 5.8:1

Shimano Sahara FB 4000: 6.2:1

all of these reels have the same body size so the spool diameter would be the same i believe?

I'm mostly concerned with getting the right tool for the job, the reel will be used off the rocks and for some of my heavier soft plastic work. How much more suitable will the stradic be for this type of fishing? will the retrieve ratio on the Exceler be too slow to entice a strike? Is the Sahara's retrieve ratio too fast?

thanks for your help raiders!

all of these reels have the same body size so the spool diameter would be the same i believe?

I'm mostly concerned with getting the right tool for the job, the reel will be used off the rocks and for some of my heavier soft plastic work. How much more suitable will the stradic be for this type of fishing? will the retrieve ratio on the Exceler be too slow to entice a strike? Is the Sahara's retrieve ratio too fast?

go the stradic mate, I have both a Stradic and an Exceler and the Stradic is better in every facet. Well worth the extra dosh

Spinning off the point at Hat Head one time I was using an overhead reel ( 6 /1 seascape ) and another guy a threadline ( 499 Michell ) Both had the same retrive of line per turn of the handle, but I could turn mine faster! I caught a heap of tuna, he caught none!!!!!!!!!

There are times when speed is everything!!!!!!

Howard.

Spool diameter is not necessarily related to body size mate. The Daiwa I'm guessing will have a wider diameter spool. Also worth noting that if spools are 'short' as line comes off the spool effectively gets narrower more quickly, so older style short spools aren't anywhere near as good for high speed work.

I agree with the recommendation to go for the Stradic, only because I haven't used the other reels. I have a 5000 which has a slightly bigger spool again than the 4000 so might be worth looking at.

If you ever want to watch a great dvd of high speed spinning have a look at the old Ron Calcutt 'Spinning for Spaniards'. They catch awesome Spanish Mackerel and Cobia up to 20kg off Hat Head using overhead gear. Joe Gospel has a custom overhead reel (a Seascape I think) with a modified gearbox with about a 9:1 retrieve ratio... now that's speed.

Cheers, Slinky