Bream Eating Leather Jackets

smoko

Went for a fish off South Durras beach (south coast) after work last night. Caught a few beach worms and started fishing. Caught 5 nice bream in 50 minutes and called it a day, kept 2 for dinner with the rest returned.

When I got home cleaned the fish to find both had three baby leatherjackets in their stomach, about an inch long. Apart from clearly being crunched when grabbed by the bream they were pretty well in tact.

Would have been interesting to see if the other bream also had been feeding on these baby lj's. The bream were very silver and clearly surf fish. At least the bream are doing their fair share in reducing the lj population!!!

Anbody else seen this recently???

I hope that using LJ's for bream bait catches on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold on guys, don't go using these little cute leather jackets for bait :)

Pigmy Leatherjackets are all over Sydney and they are too cute to kill. Nothing like the big leather jackets.

I spot them all the time diving and if you held one there is no way you could put a hook through it.

Do you think it was a pigmy that it had eaten?

post-3761-1233868534_thumb.jpg

Hey smoko

i havent ever seen anything that resembles a fish in side another a fish all i have ever seen is the nasty guts and gunk

you should have taken a photo tha would be cool to see

Adzzy

You need to cut open the stomach and squeeze out the contents.

check out the post "de-ja-jew"..it has a pic of a partly digested mantis shrimp.

I caught a nice bream and on cleaning it found it had just eaten a large Christmas Beetle.

When i was a kid growing up out here in the west suburbs I'd see hundreds of them congregating around the porch lights every summer..but this year i haven't seen one..not a single one!

Perhaps the bream got to them first? :wacko:

Hold on guys, don't go using these little cute leather jackets for bait :)

Pigmy Leatherjackets are all over Sydney and they are too cute to kill. Nothing like the big leather jackets.

I spot them all the time diving and if you held one there is no way you could put a hook through it.

Do you think it was a pigmy that it had eaten?

Definitely not the pigmy, immature LJ's, maybe six spine LJ. Sorry no photos taken!