Sat Night Nara Salmon + Jews W/pic

SZ1

Hi Guys / Girls,

Saturday night the plan was to go chill at Narrabeen beach to stay out of the heat and hopefully catch some tailor or salmon. When we arrive the NE was blowing pretty hard and I thought it would be a tough night.

We arrived at 7pm armed with a block of pillies and some squid head from the squidding sessions early in week, I rigged up 3 beach rod outfits, one for me, one for my g/f and one for her brother. During the time I was rigging up the people next to me caught a nice salmon, so the hope are riding high. With in the next hour and abit we had a few hits that was missed, while my g/f brother caught 2 nice salmons and Mrs caught the largest of the night. At this stage i was pretty happy with the effort already, but we planned to stay till about mid night. I had a quick look at the moon and its look like the full was approaching and the low tide was approaching I said you know what guys I think we might be in for a chance with the jews tonight.

The next hour or so my fisho is arriving for the low, i figure these guys are out here for jews. At about 11pm the bloke next to me hooks onto a decent fish after a short fight a nice jew of about 7kg is washed up. By this stage I thought that would be it and there is no chance for more also we only had pillies for bait so our chance was low, so i said the magical phrase "ok guys last cast" so all rod are brought back and rigged with fresh pillies. Within 5 min my rod showed a couple of bumps, thinking it was weed so I picked up the rod and felt a heavy pull so I thought hey why not so I stirke and was connected, after the first run the tel tale head shake was felt and i confidently called it for a jewie, and a short tussle close in my jewie was beached, with excitement of screams, we had he on the boga scales and it pulled it down to 6.04kgs. Stoked with that effort i said that would do us let go for the night, but the other party insisted we stay a little longer, so once again new baits were deployed and while going out for a cast my g/f run is buckling with drag being, she didn't know what to do and got her brother to do somthing but he being new to fishing didn't know what to do but strike hard and pump and wind, he was going for gold and thought he pulled the fish off, i took over and wound up all the slack and he was still on so I fought the rest of the fight and beached our 2nd jew for night, as it was dragged up on the beach the hooks fell out just in time. This fish weighed 5.5kg on the boga. We stayed for another 20min for no action so we left at 12.30pm with 2 jews and 3 salmons.

It has been 3 years since I caught my first and only jewie, to crack 2 in one night is a great way to shake of the cob webs, also this is first beach Jew. I have for sure remembered the conditions of the night with return next time with some better bait, not that i am complaining about the pillies as it took all the fish for the night.

Hope you enjoyed the read and the pics.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Cheers,

SZ

Edited by SZ1

Thanks all for your replies, it was a great evening especailly first jews of the beach.

Hamed888,

In regards to your quesitons I was use 20lb mono to 40 or 60lb leader. The rods are either 10ft or 12foot surf rods.

Cheers,

SZ

g'day mate just wondering if you know any good spots around the narra and collaroy areas ..

i live in dee why but 99.9% of my fishing is done up the coast and i was after some local knowledge and it seems you have plenty

any info would be great and congrats on the nice pair of jews .

Fisho