Suggestion

Kiwi Dan

Hello mods/admin,

Ive had a thought, beleive me it doesnt happen much.

I was just wondering if there had ever been any thought behind having some kind of SMS update section linked to Fishraider somehow. Something similar to Facebook where you can update your status from your mobile phone etc. But for raider a section where people who are actually out fishing could send current quick/short messages to the site telling others whats going on.

For example I could be out on the water fishing Nth Head and a massive school of salmon and kings were smashing up for an hour and if I was able to send an SMS to a number linked to the site which would then post that detail. When ever im about to head out I always check raider to see the latest news and having this might help people out a little. Or for anyone thinking about heading out for a quick arvo fish after work this might also assist them, say if anyone was down at Clifton land based and nothing was happening and sent an SMS through to the site, people might decide that they can cross that off the list and try somewhere else.

I have no idea what costs are involved, what behind the scenes type work there is to be done, how many people would use something like this both providing info and checking the info. Im merely just putting it out there as a suggestion and thinking out loud.

I know phones can access the internet anyway so people could post a quick report like that but not everyone has new phones and can get onto the net etc - a 25c text message would be much easier.

G'day Dan,

I'm sure Admin will have a thought on this, but as someone who has just spent about 3 months with no Raider connection apart from on my phone I think you may have answered your own question. The way phones are going now, internet connection is really easy and soon everyone will have that sort of phone (as people inevitably update, get new plans etc).

I've accessed Fishraider from the water, from a couple of our socials, while at restaurants (sorry Mrs Slinky!). A text message these days is no faster and for the amount of work involved to both set it up, get all members to provide their mobile numbers, sort them by area somehow (so people get info they find useful), etc it becomes a big hairy angry task. :1wallbash:

The idea of real time info is great as you and I both know from sharing info on the water... I'd encourage everyone with a 3G phone with 'hot' info to post a quick one or two line report from the water if they want.

It would be interesting to get the info, but can you imagine the boat traffic on your possie if everyone on the water read a post or got a text saying that there was a big school of surface kings at Quarantine :1yikes:

It might be one of those cases where the real time info is best to only share with your closest fishing mates??

Great that there are Raiders out there like you who share with other fishos and also get involved with the site, putting forward ideas to try to make it as good as possible for everyone. Many thanks.

Cheers, Slinky